7MM REM Mag what do you think??

bigbearhunter

I just purchased a 7MM REM MAG barrel for my Encore. I am taking it to Nova Scotia in Oct. I want to hunt with my muzzle loader barrel but also don't want to go without a reg. rifle in case. Never owned one so will be a new caliber for me. Any suggestions??
TODD

Todd,
I have shot the 7 Mag for quiet a few years now. Mostly for whitetails and the all elusive paper targets. For the majority of this I have used the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over 67.0 gr of RL22, usually pushed by a CCI BR2 or Rem 9.5M primer. This is a very accurate load in my Sendero. Good Luck. JohnnyK.

I love the caliber. It won't let you down that's for sure. You didn't mention if you were planning on reloading or not but it is a good caliber either way. Shoots well has a good selection of bullets, and will take anything in N. America without a doubt. Good luck!

I will be shooting factory loads. I'm kinda particular to the noslar partition bullets, I really like them in my weatherbys. This is a T/C Encore that I am taking to Nova Scotia bear hunting. I'm ready to get it and give it a try.
Thanks
TODD

If you are planning to use factory, then I would suggest you test with Winchester grey box stuff from Wally land. Depending on where you go, stores here may not have the selection you want.

Personally, have started using the 7RM this season and am quite impressed. I am shooting 162gr Amax molied pushed by Re25 and Fed 215M primers. Definitely capable of tiny groups at LR.

Jerry

What are your plans for the muzzleloader and "black" powder?? I don't believe you're able to fly with loose powder.

Some of those TSA weenies (affectionately) will take loose bullets (projectiles for the muzzleloader) because you can't fly with "bullets" rattling around loose in a box. (You can try explaining the difference between loaded (fixed) cartridges and components but I believe you'll lose the battle).

Make plans beforehand.

good question, I have flown with them before but not lately so things may have changed. All i did before was put it all in a closed metal ammo box. Not sure does anyone know????
TODD

Black powder is definitely a no no on an airplane. Best to contact your airline and see what you need to do to declare/package this stuff.

Remember, gunpowder is still considered an explosive. Having a bottle of it in a belly of an airplane may not be considered 'sporting' in this day and age.

I am sure the idea is for a trip north, not south to a Caribean wonderland.
Jerry

All the 7mm Mags that I have used are fabuolous. I shoot the Remington, WSM and the larger STW. Plenty of power and not unreasonalbe recoil with the 7 Mag for Elk, Moose and Bear.

I have yet to see a 7 Mag that would not shoot accuratley with a little load work.

Mike.

Personaly, I think the 7mmWSM with 162gr A-max and 28in barrel, is about as perfect as a LR combo as you can get for deer/elk at medium range, maybe 1000+yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.