7mm Rem Mag 175gr Accubond LR Report

I have shot several zebra with a 7 mm Mag and a .375 H&H magnum. They are tough animals that need to be killed with one shot to the right place. If it is not to the right place, they will run for miles with what would be a fatal shot in any other game animal. I saw this with both the 7mm and the H&H, so I think it is bullet placement and performance more than kinetic shock.

I should add that this was 45 years ago and bullet design and performance was not what it is today.

I had good luck with AccuBond. This Zebra was shot at about 240 yards with a 200 gr AB 300WBY. Went just a few yards and dropped. Tiny entry wound. No exit.
I think I will be trying the ABLRs but for now I just shoot whitetail in Texas. 130 grn on 270 or even 95 gr on 243 is more than I need
Inge, do you mind sharing your approximate load on the 7mm Rem Mag.

Good SHooting!
ASD

Attachments

• zebra.jpg
    zebra.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 97
I've hunted Africa, but not Zebra. When Zebra run 50+ yards after the shot, is that considered good performance? I believe so but wonder, because I was thinking the 7MAG 175 ABLR might make for a great 1 bullet hunting option for deer thru elk, near and far. Would elk generally react similar to Zebra using them? I read when animals run after the shot, adrenaline can spoil the meat flavor. I know every situation is different, but my 338 puts them down quick most of the time. Will the 175 ABLR? I do want to give the 7 MM a shot.
I've used both the 168 ABLR and the 175 ABLR I get better results including accuracy with the 168 in my 7mm STW but it's pushing much higher velocity than the 7 mag

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.