7mm Question

I am a 7 mag guy all the way. I've killed several elk with it and one at 400+ yards.
That said, when I started hunting in Idaho and looking at the average distances encountered I now have a dedicated elk rifle - 300 RUM.

My friend has many DRT kill shots between 1000-1500 with his. Just my opinion.

I'm trying to decide on a new rifle build. Looking at either a 7mm or 7mm STW. I've got a place where I've hunted for a number of years and its an elk hot spot. They hang out across a steep nasty canyon. Theres no way to sneak into the side that they're on. Way too thick and nasty. What you can do is shoot across the canyon. Its a 970-1170 yard shot across to the hole they hang out in.

I'd like to put together a rifle and go after them next year. I'm trying to decide if a 7mm Rem Mag is enough or should I go up to the 7mm STW. I'd like to shoot the 180's.

Thanks
I love my 7mmstw I usually shoot 170 gr bullets and have taken one shot moose and elk with it !

I'm trying to decide on a new rifle build. Looking at either a 7mm or 7mm STW. I've got a place where I've hunted for a number of years and its an elk hot spot. They hang out across a steep nasty canyon. Theres no way to sneak into the side that they're on. Way too thick and nasty. What you can do is shoot across the canyon. Its a 970-1170 yard shot across to the hole they hang out in.

I'd like to put together a rifle and go after them next year. I'm trying to decide if a 7mm Rem Mag is enough or should I go up to the 7mm STW. I'd like to shoot the 180's.

Thanks
I love my 7mm stw. With that said I went bought me an LRKM in the 338 Terminator for exactly what your talking about. Bull elk at or over 1000 yards I would recommend something in the 338. As others have said go to the exact spot you think you will engage your target and go practice as much as you can. Please let us know what you decide.

Corey

I was planning to build a 7 RM to do what the OP has planned. Ok, not specifically across a canyon but at 1000 yards for sure. It was to be my 'do-all' rifle and I didn't want a big caliber. However, half way through my research and a 7mm barrel on order, I switched to the 338 NM. If I compared the 338 300 grain projectile with something, it would be Thor's hammer. My build is supper accurate and easy to shoot. However, I wouldn't mind more velocity.

I would shoot nothing less than the 7mm 195 Bergers over 3000 fps. That combo looks good on paper. My 338 may appear slow at 2780 fps but the terminal results are unquestionable. If you were talking deer at that distance, I wouldn't hesitate with a 7mm caliber.

All atmospherics being the same, the wind drift delta between a 7mm 195 @ 3100 fps and a 338 300 grain at 2800 fps is 4" in favor of the 7mm.
Both are hits but you'll get much more life out of the 338.
(data from Berger's calculator)

Im a loyal fan of 7mm. I figured that shooting a large bull elk with one would be equivalent of shooting a large Mule Deer buck with a 243. I have a 300 Norma. Just got thru with a load that sends 230s @3030fps. It would probably be more adequate for elk than 7mm but still not the terminal performance of the 338. While I can shoot the 300 Norma well and I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, I would call it to be just under my threshold for recoil in a braked 15lb rifle. While I can take much more recoil than that, it would start to effect my ability to shoot accurately. I waterfowl hunt with a 10 gauge no problems. So for me personally, I believe I've reached my limit with the 300 norma. I'm getting older as well, so I don't even see myself being able to keep my skill with it on up into my later years. Ran into an older fellow who had heart problems, his doctor must have been a hunter to, he told the fellow not to shoot anything greater than a 243 win.

If you hit the elk in the boiler it will go down. The energy at those ranges with the 7 mag is not going to be the 1500 ftlbs but it will get it done if you put the bullet where it needs to be. I would put a 10" gong across that canyon and Everytime you go up scouting shoot 1 time and see if you can make first end hit. It will be good practice, eye opener. Wind is going to be the hardest part.
+1...I hope the poster is leaving something out about how he will be getting his elk out of the canyon. If he can't get in to set up your suggested steel target, he would not be able to get the carcass OUT. I admit to being a bit confused here.

I was planning to build a 7 RM to do what the OP has planned. Ok, not specifically across a canyon but at 1000 yards for sure. It was to be my 'do-all' rifle and I didn't want a big caliber. However, half way through my research and a 7mm barrel on order, I switched to the 338 NM. If I compared the 338 300 grain projectile with something, it would be Thor's hammer. My build is supper accurate and easy to shoot. However, I wouldn't mind more velocity.

I would shoot nothing less than the 7mm 195 Bergers over 3000 fps. That combo looks good on paper. My 338 may appear slow at 2780 fps but the terminal results are unquestionable. If you were talking deer at that distance, I wouldn't hesitate with a 7mm caliber.

All atmospherics being the same, the wind drift delta between a 7mm 195 @ 3100 fps and a 338 300 grain at 2800 fps is 4" in favor of the 7mm.
Both are hits but you'll get much more life out of the 338.
(data from Berger's calculator)
I originally wanted to do a 7mm-300 Norma. Should send 195s on up around 3300fps with the right powder, while probably still not as effective as a 338 on elk, I don't think a fellow would be way under gunned either.

If you have any doubt about what you should use and how to use it personally I wouldn't take the chance I consider my self a pretty good shot and I wouldn't try it think about what your odds are of making a clean kill first

I'm not disagreeing with you that 7mm is not ideal for elk at extreme distance, but energy numbers don't tell the whole story.

Energy remaining at 1200 yards and 8000 feet elevation:

195 Berger @ 3125 (28 Nosler): 1932 ft lb
215 Berger @ 3000 (300 PRC/30 Nosler): 1778 ft lb
Would you share your twist rate with the 28 Nosler?

+1...I hope the poster is leaving something out about how he will be getting his elk out of the canyon. If he can't get in to set up your suggested steel target, he would not be able to get the carcass OUT. I admit to being a bit confused here.
I don't see a problem, I wouldn't carry a steel plate and shoot it in the exact spot I want to hunt elk in. From my experience (limited as it is compared to some on here) those elk are in there for a reason, people aren't. Why go boogering it up? Instead, why not find a similar scenario to shoot in. I have a new spot kind of like his, hard as heck to get into and can glass elk from across a canyon every day. I will pack something out but nothing in needlessly. Plus, what's this got to do with his question?

I remember watching John Burns on best of the west drop elk in their tracks with a 7mm. I can't remember what case. Something like a 7mm LRM. He was shooting high shoulder/ spine shots. So it could have been done with an even lesser cartridge. I don't bank on high shoulder shots.

I remember watching John Burns on best of the west drop elk in their tracks with a 7mm. I can't remember what case. Something like a 7mm LRM. He was shooting high shoulder/ spine shots. So it could have been done with an even lesser cartridge. I don't bank on high shoulder shots.
He was shooting a 7mm stw with 168gr. Berger @ 3250

He was shooting a 7mm stw with 168gr. Berger @ 3250
Glad someone remembed. I loved that show. Was the first I had ever saw or heard of Berger bullets. I wonder if he still hunts. I thought that I heard he doesn't do much hunting anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.