7mm or 30 cal? Just for curiosity’s sake

7mm or 30 cal?

• 7mm

Votes: 150 54.9%
  • 30 cal

Votes: 123 45.1%

• Total voters
I have shot and killed elk,deer,antelope here in Colorado with a 243,25-06,270,30-06,7mmRUM,338win mag,300 Lapua mag and a compound bow. All were dead. How dead do they need to be? Dead is dead

I've hunted in Africa and of course here..My go to rifle is a 300WM. No mental masturbation as to effectiveness. shoot it and no problems from Kudu elk and everything else except the big 5

I own several rifles in both 7mm and 30 cal.
They will both do pretty much everything I'll ever need them for.
I don't think the intended target will ever be able to tell the difference between a .284 and .30 caliber pill.
The only time any preference would come in is because the 30 cal is capable of heavier pills than the 7, but I'm not hunting cape buff anytime soon.

I have both, but to really reach out there, the 7mm is a great tool. Mine is a 28 Sherman Magnum….loads not developed yet. I'm guessing 168gr at 3300fps.

My mid range is a 30 cal 300 Sherman Barnes LRX 175 at 3058fps so far.

I'll put my .02 cents in on this year old revived thread. I own two 7's, a 7-08 and a 280 AI. While carrying the 280 AI I have never felt under gunned. Oddly enough I purchased a 30 caliber this year but I'm in no hurry to work up a load and probably won't even take it on my elk hunt next year!

I'll put my .02 cents in on this year old revived thread. I own two 7's, a 7-08 and a 280 AI. While carrying the 280 AI I have never felt under gunned. Oddly enough I purchased a 30 caliber this year but I'm in no hurry to work up a load and probably won't even take it on my elk hunt next year!
I'd like to see a 180 gr load work up on that 7-08!!!!

that bc claim is false advertising .... I have the 195 gr, 208 gr & 226 gr bullets in 7mm & none of them come anywhere close to .932
Figured it had to be. Nothing new either…it seems at least once every 5 years someone "reinvents" the metal tipped rebated boat tail and somehow the thing has a bc that's impossible for any mainstream bullet manufacturer to approach (you know, the companies that spend thousands, perhaps millions, on creating the highest performing bullets possible). And people buy into the hype for a while. And then find out.

Got no beef with that design and it surely has merit it's just for some reason a bs magnet haha.

Excluding chinchaga bullets which I know you have experience with - on my to do list - but are they even going anymore? I appreciated how underwhelming the bcs on those seemed…I knew the guy wasn't full of it!

There will always be a debate between the 7's and the 30's. I like both, but have focused more on the .284 in recent years. If I lived in elk country, I would probably lean toward the 30's more. I can't imagine stuffing a 200+ gr bullet in a 7. I'll stick with 168 gr and below. I enjoy shooting relatively low to moderate recoil rounds and don't want to haul around a heavy rifle in the woods. This is why I'm in the process of having a 280ai built right now.

I used to have 2 Remington 700 in 7mm mag and it killed everything I shot with it but with more bullet selection in 30 and the fact that I already had several 30's I sold or traded all 7mm for 30 cal.
Several years back a friend with a 7mm mag and me with a 300 win mag got into a herd of elk on the side of the hill.He fired first and then I fired.He shot a cow elk and I shot a 5x5 and both fell on the spot so both will do the same thing.
If you have other 7mm rifles then 7mm mag might just be the ticket.