7mm mag or stw

Just ordered some stw cases and bullets. Now just need primers and powder. What kind of powder for stw do u recommend for 180 vlds

I have had great luck with IMR 7828 SSC and Federal 215M primers. But your rifle might prefer something different. You never know till you try.

Thanks I'll check out those powders. Also I wanted to ask u what u think of the 7-300 cartridge and how it compares to the stw.

Thanks I'll check out those powders. Also I wanted to ask u what u think of the 7-300 cartridge and how it compares to the stw.

I think it's a good caliber. I think it's a good middle of the road caliber, as it is directly in between the 7mm RemMag and the 7mm STW in case capacity and size. Therefore I would expect the performance to be right in the middle, as well.

Some folks will tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread, and others will tell you it's nothing more than a puffed-up 7 mag.... However, we are talking about the internet here, so I take what I read with a grain of salt, and you also have to factor in people's natural human bias to the equation, as well. I try to look at things from a logical standpoint, such as, the fact that it is directly in between the other 2 case sizes, therefore, I feel it's only natural to assume when compared in an all-else equal environment, the 7-300WM would be directly in between the other 2.

That being said, I can't verify all of that, as I have never owned one, but from everything I have read about them, that tends to be the general consensus.

I'm sticking with the stw very excited. This is my first long range rifle and I'm building it myself. I'm doing the blue printing,bedding,clambering and headspacing my self so it should be very gratifying to hoot a rifle built by me. I thank u again for answering all my questions and taking the time to help me.

I E H likely won't admit it, but the reason that the 7rem case size was chosen (both the 7stw size and 7rem size cases were wildcatted before even the 7rem came about) was the fact that there were so few powders slow enough to make use of the case capacity that the full length belted has to offer.
You can play with throating and sprinkle pixie dust (hex or moly coating) on your bullets, but I can too with the stw or 7rum and I'll still have your butt by 150-200 fps at the end of the day. (likely even bigger gains than the stw if I went there with the 7rum- I can loaf that rifle at start charges and be at book max. speed)

The stw looks like a great cartridge so I'm looking forward to developing loads and seeing how it shoots. But the 7rum doesn't seem worth it for such little gains compared to powder use. Now the stw over the mag looks like the gains are worth it. So I'm sticking with the stw and maybe the next will be a rum. But I'm kinda leaning towards a 6.5 creed next.

I have both but when comes down which one I reach for to do all my hunting its my 7mm stw pictured here. I'm using 180gr bergers going 3188 out of a 26" hart tube. 74.0 grs of 7828. I've killed elk out 790 yards and close as 126 yards all with great success usually I shot drops and kills. All high shoulder shots. I went with John Burns advice nearly 15 years ago. He used a 7mm stw for ever but he does like the 7mm rem mag as well. I'm trying to convert to the 338 edge as I have a canyon rifle that I love its hard not to take the stw.

Corey

Attachments

• SDC12152.jpg
    SDC12152.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 30
The stw looks like an awesome cartridge and I'm looking forward to building mine.um hoping to have it done in 6 months so that's my goal. I just bought my rem 700 used for 400 bucks and it's currently chambered for 7 mag but all I'm using on the rifle is the action so I thought it was a good deal. When I order my new barrel I'll finish ream it to stw and bed it to my new stock. I'm looking at either the greybull or the bandc medalist but having made a for sure desicion yet.

The stw looks like an awesome cartridge and I'm looking forward to building mine.um hoping to have it done in 6 months so that's my goal. I just bought my rem 700 used for 400 bucks and it's currently chambered for 7 mag but all I'm using on the rifle is the action so I thought it was a good deal. When I order my new barrel I'll finish ream it to stw and bed it to my new stock. I'm looking at either the greybull or the bandc medalist but having made a for sure desicion yet.

Cool beans man... as to the 7rem... I don't hate the cartridge but everyone who runs out seems to have to run it hard to get anywhere with it. I'd rather run the bigger boiler room of the 7stw or 7rum and take it easier pressure wise.

All this STW talk gets me excited. I've got one in my safe that I am building for my dad. It's a Win 70 stainless, go it for $500. I'm planning on putting the same gun together that was shown earlier with a hart barrel and a Nightforce scope. It'll be fun....

When I bought the rifle I mainly bought it for the price and long action. But after I started talking to guys here and learning about the 7stw o got hooked on it and from what I understand to convert mag to stw is just a barrel swap witch I was going to do anyways but the rum I guess takes a little more so I'm sticking with stw.

All this STW talk gets me excited. I've got one in my safe that I am building for my dad. It's a Win 70 stainless, go it for $500. I'm planning on putting the same gun together that was shown earlier with a hart barrel and a Nightforce scope. It'll be fun....

if you keep the standard win ss stock (the Tupperware one) you'll likely have to pillar bed the action and free float the bbl. to keep the stock from messing things up...

I did that on my last gun. Built the pillars, drilled out the stock, bedded the entire action and lug. I figured spending $25 on bedding materials was cheaper than a new stock. I may or may not be happy with it, but I would rather give it a shot before I buy a different stock.

It was the first stock I ever did. A little time consuming, but it was well worth it. The gun shoots better than I do so I can't complain.

if you keep the standard win ss stock (the Tupperware one) you'll likely have to pillar bed the action and free float the bbl. to keep the stock from messing things up...
He will also want to dig out as much material as possible under the barrel channel and back fill it with Devcon Steel mixed with tungsten powder.

That will stiffen it up like you won't believe and add a few ounces of weight right beneath the barrel as well which helps a bit with muzzle flip.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.