7mm mag or stw

harleybug

I'm building a rem 700 that I'm getting ready to blueprint and then order the rest of my parts. The current barrel is chambered in 7 mag but I'm going to put a Shaw barrel on with the new manners eh1 stock and the 7stw has caught my interest. My only issues with it is ammo availability and if it is worth the hassle for 200fps gain. I do reload also but I don't know how difficult it is to get the cases. 7 mag is really popular and on just about every shelf to buy so I'm looking for one more insight on the round and what makes it better than 7mag. Is it that much better for 1000 yard shooting and is the ammo pretty available. Can someone give me the plus or minus over the 7mag.

I'm building a rem 700 that I'm getting ready to blueprint and then order the rest of my parts. The current barrel is chambered in 7 mag but I'm going to put a Shaw barrel on with the new manners eh1 stock and the 7stw has caught my interest. My only issues with it is ammo availability and if it is worth the hassle for 200fps gain. I do reload also but I don't know how difficult it is to get the cases. 7 mag is really popular and on just about every shelf to buy so I'm looking for one more insight on the round and what makes it better than 7mag. Is it that much better for 1000 yard shooting and is the ammo pretty available. Can someone give me the plus or minus over the 7mag.

If I was putting a rifle in 7mm together in any caliber I want and barrel life was no consideration at all I'd go 7rum. If I still wanted great speed but barrel life was in the picture I'd go to 7x300win or 7stw even if I had to form brass. You have to hotrod a 7rem to get much above 280/280ai speeds so I would be very hesitant to go there.
Even if brass is hard to get in 7stw headstamp, 375h@h and 300 h@h can always be blown out and are readily available. I run both proper headstamp and blown out brass and notice no difference. Same with 7x300; easy to form brass should make getting dies the only real consideration in your decision.
I've had three 7rem's, two 7stw's, and three 7rum rifles and I only own a 7stw and 7rum at present. I still have 7rem dies and brass in the off chance I see one for cheap that I can use as a garbage can for bullets neither my 7stw or 7rum really likes.

As an STW enthusiast, owner, and shooter for well over a decade now, I can tell you that once you have one, you will fall for it.

In my collection, I have two 7mmRM's currently, and two 7STW's. So my suggestion is, to own both and then decide what you prefer. I have reasons for both... Sub-500 yards for whitetails, I use my lightweight sporter barreled 7RM's. For 500+ work, the STW will show you where it shines... :D

7RM will kill moose out to 900+ (we have a member on here who has done it...Can't ever remember his name...). But the STW could kill whitetails out to 1,500 with a hot load of atleast 3,000 fps MV and heavy 180 Bergers with a high BC....According to my charts. I haven't shot anything that far, but the charts show potential. And there's videos on YouTube of folks shooting an STW to a mile (1,760), so...hopefully one day I'll have a range that far to try it out.

I just want to make sure that if I go with stw I'm not going to be chasing rounds or cases all the time. This is my first long range gun and my first build so I just want to make sure I can shoot it without having to pay top dollar for brass.on paper it didn't show that much of an advantage but I do want to build a worthy rifle. Also is my receiver capable of rum cartridges.I'm new to building bolt action rifles so I'm trying to ask as many questions as possible. Thank u for the advice and any other guidance is appreciated. I have no preference for either cartridge but I do want to give myself the best choice for a long range round.

Cases are easy to find for the stw if your not worried about proper head stamping I use 8mm rem mag brass from midway 100 pieces is around 88.00 dollars

A 7mm mag load and build that is easy and popular. Rem action, Wyatts extended box magazine. COAL to 3.52, Berger 180 Hex Coated. Win brass and Win Mag primer. Load worked up with Retumbo. .050 off the lands. 3175fps.
Compare to any other 7mm cartridge! You will either see a larger case with less efficiency and most of the time less velocity, or a case that is limited to 160 gr bullets or less due to case capacity. The factory engineers must of known something when the case capacity was decided upon when they came out with the 7mm Rem in 63. This is enhanced by the new powders that have came out in the last 10 years to bring out more potential than ever.
If you wanted to hedge on the future then the 7 RUM MIGHT come into its own territory with new slower tem stabile powders that will be coming
out on the market as well as new heavier bullets ( 195 and 203gr). Better get a 1 in 8 tube!

A 7mm mag load and build that is easy and popular. Rem action, Wyatts extended box magazine. COAL to 3.52, Berger 180 Hex Coated. Win brass and Win Mag primer. Load worked up with Retumbo. .050 off the lands. 3175fps.
Compare to any other 7mm cartridge! You will either see a larger case with less efficiency and most of the time less velocity, or a case that is limited to 160 gr bullets or less due to case capacity. The factory engineers must of known something when the case capacity was decided upon when they came out with the 7mm Rem in 63. This is enhanced by the new powders that have came out in the last 10 years to bring out more potential than ever.
If you wanted to hedge on the future then the 7 RUM MIGHT come into its own territory with new slower tem stabile powders that will be coming
out on the market as well as new heavier bullets ( 195 and 203gr). Better get a 1 in 8 tube!

It came out in 1962, with the introduction of the model 700. It was their flagship rifle/cartridge combo. And the 7mm RemMag case was already in existence in a .5mm smaller diameter neck, form.....The .264 WinMag (released 1959). All Remington did was expand the neck to a 7mm diameter bullet, make the neck slightly longer, and call it the 7mm RemMag.

Had to draw up a comparison on my program real quick, then convert, and upload...But here it is.

264WMvs7mmRM_zpsb49c70d1.jpg

So is my receiver capable of handling ultra mag cartridges I know I can use most mag cartridges but are the ultra mags the same receiver to.

So is my receiver capable of handling ultra mag cartridges I know I can use most mag cartridges but are the ultra mags the same receiver to.

Same receiver, but you will have to mill-out the feed rails on the bottom of the receiver, and have to buy a RUM mag box and follower.

Personally, I'd just stick with 7RM or 7STW and avoid having to screw with all that and spend money on extra parts.

It came out in 1962, with the introduction of the model 700. It was their flagship rifle/cartridge combo. And the 7mm RemMag case was already in existence in a .5mm smaller diameter neck, form.....The .264 WinMag (released 1959). All Remington did was expand the neck to a 7mm diameter bullet, make the neck slightly longer, and call it the 7mm RemMag.

Had to draw up a comparison on my program real quick, then convert, and upload...But here it is.

264WMvs7mmRM_zpsb49c70d1.jpg
Your right. The rest of the industry did not tool up for it until 1963. It was a huge hit for Remington in 1962.

Your right. The rest of the industry did not tool up for it until 1963. It was a huge hit for Remington in 1962.

Sure was, and the coolest part about it, to me anyways, is that it is still 100% relevant in today's shooting game, thanks to the advancements of modern powders, primers, bullets, and brass. And I'm glad it didn't go the way of the dodo bird, and the H&H calibers. Of course, the H&H calibers went extinct because they were designed to use cordite for propellant, and the soft-shoulder angles were not known for producing large amounts of pressure, which in-turn didn't produce big velocity numbers (by today's standards). But those cases have spawned all sorts of awesome calibers we use today.

Then again, if it weren't for the .30-06 Springfield, and the .375 H&H we wouldn't have squat compared to what we have today.

I still would like to have a .264 WM someday. As much as I love the 7mmRM, I think it would make a good dynamic duo of whitetail hunting in lightweight sporter barreled rigs.

Ya I think I'll stick with mag or stw. I'm still going back and forth about it, I really like the stw butt I've been searching the internet for brass and ammo and I'm seeing out of stock on everything so it's making me nervous for the stw. I know I can get mag parts everywhere but I do want to get as much performance as possible. So I'll keep looking and see. Thank u for all the help and to u especially mudrunner u have been very helpfull. I think u get what I'm going for.

Ya I think I'll stick with mag or stw. I'm still going back and forth about it, I really like the stw butt I've been searching the internet for brass and ammo and I'm seeing out of stock on everything so it's making me nervous for the stw. I know I can get mag parts everywhere but I do want to get as much performance as possible. So I'll keep looking and see. Thank u for all the help and to u especially mudrunner u have been very helpfull. I think u get what I'm going for.
Midway has it on sale really cheap right now. I'd jump on about 150-200 pieces of brass if I were you, and if you plan on going STW. Then you should be set for a LONG time.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 7mm STW Box of 25

Here's your Berger target bullets to get you started on shooting and load development...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...int-boat-tail-box-of-100?cm_vc=ProductFinding

And if you'd rather shoot Berger 180 Hyrbid bulelts, this place has 500 packs in stock for CHEAP!

http://www.bullets.com/products/7mm...Hybrid-Target-Bullets-Bulk-Box-of-500/BL10101

Just ordered some stw cases and bullets. Now just need primers and powder. What kind of powder for stw do u recommend for 180 vlds

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.