7mm Mag Norma Brass, too soft?

Try the Winchester Brass due to the Web problem as described before, Use the Win MAG primer and load up to your rifles capability with Retumbo. Once at Over Max load with signs of pressure on your brass head then back off 1.5 grains. You will be around the 3100 mark.

Sounds good, I will be happy with it. Next project will be a STW so that I can get 7mm Rem mag velocities.

I will try Win or R/P or Fed brass...seems like there is no clear winner there. I have R/P brass and cheap R/P ammo to burn up to get brass so I was just figuring I would start there, but clearly I will have to sort and prep it, since it already showed poor accuracy in comparison to the norma (Due to the immense difference in consistency, I assume).

Am I right to assume there is no clear winner in the above brass brands? In the long run its really no big deal to buy 100 pcs of Win if that would be best, or fed, or R/P. etc.

i use 72.5 of H1000 with a 168 VLDH burger works ok too

760 yards

Attachments

• IMG_1515 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1515 (Medium).JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 111
I will try Win or R/P or Fed brass...seems like there is no clear winner there. I have R/P brass and cheap R/P ammo to burn up to get brass so I was just figuring I would start there, but clearly I will have to sort and prep it, since it already showed poor accuracy in comparison to the norma (Due to the immense difference in consistency, I assume).

Am I right to assume there is no clear winner in the above brass brands? In the long run its really no big deal to buy 100 pcs of Win if that would be best, or fed, or R/P. etc.
If you dont want to drop the money on Nosler brass, but want good inexpensive brass, go for the Winchester. I have probably 250+ Win cases for 7mmRM tucked away for rough times if I can't afford more Nosler or can't find any. Most are once-fired I bought for cheap from someone who didn't reload, or picked up at the range, and 50 are new.

Next project will be a STW so that I can get 7mm Rem mag velocities.

Shaaaazaam! Why didn't I think of that. Like I could do a 300 RUM so that I can get 30-06 velocities! Seriously though the STW is probably a safer alternative than throwing out the "too soft" Norma brass with "web" problems and going with Winchester brass, putting "over max" powder loads in them and then backing off to achieve the magic 200fps more velocity. Who knows maybe that will do it for ya. Good luck with the rifle.

Last edited:

Shaaaazaam! Why didn't I think of that. Like I could do a 300 RUM so that I can get 30-06 velocities! All in all though the STW is probably a safer alternative than throwing out the "too soft" Norma brass with "web" problems and going with Winchester brass, putting "over max" powder loads in them and then backing off to achieve the magic 200fps more velocity. Who knows maybe that will do it for ya. Good luck with the rifle.

if a hand loader can use a load 4 times and have no problems

chambering after only neck sizing then i wouldn't call that an

over max load in fact i wouldn't even call it a max load .

That's not my point.
My point is that if you are already experiencing high pressure problems with a particular brass, bullet, powder combination (which he is) then switching to another brand of brass and putting more powder in it to achieve a desired velocity probably ain't gonna help. In fact it could just be dumb! However, if you want more velocity from a particular bullet in a particular caliber and your particular rifle ain't getting it done without problems it may be better to move to another cartridge, 7 STW in this case, with more case capacity. While your rifle may get 3100fps with a 168gr 7mm bullet does in no way mean my rifle will get that. Mine may put the bolt in my face with your load. That is why there are so many cautions in reloading manuals!

For example, I had a Ruger 77 Varmint in .308....it was an extremely accurate rifle, however it would blow primers two or three grains below maximum loads listed in any reloading manual I had. Other guys with Ruger 77's would tell me oh if you do this and do that, use this bullet, that brass and powder you can get this velocity or that velocity. "My rifle shoots this phenomenal velocity all day long" yada yada. I tried it all.....nothing worked because the problem was in the barrel not the brass or bullets. That rifle was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned but it had limitations. It was a real learning experience for me.

I have shot the 7mm magnum for years and experimented with tons of loads in lot's of rifles in that caliber. I use Norma or Winchester brass exclusively and have never had "web" or "too soft" problems with the Norma. Maybe I just got lucky with certain lots. Who knows. So do I have all the answers? Yes, but that does not mean I have all the right answers. On second thought when it comes to the Remington 7mm Magnum I just might. :)

Last edited:
Isn't Nosler brass made by Norma?
From what I can gather, yes. But I have not seen difinitive proof, and Nosler refuses to say it outright. I sent them an email months ago, and still haven't heard back.

I will say this, Nosler takes the Norma brass, and then weight-sorts it, chamfers and deburrs the mouth and flash hole, polishes it up nice and shiny, and fully preps the brass for use, whereas the regular Norma brass I've seen is not fully prepped like that.

So, to me, the Nosler brass is worth the extra money, just because I don't have to worry about doing any of that crap.

I haven't used any Norma brand brass, but I definitely haven't had any issues with Nosler.

We have a select group of manufacturers that produce the brass to our exact specifications, then all the finish work (weight sorting, full length size, trim to length...) is done here at the factory.

This is what Nosler said a couple of years ago.

There used to be a member here that worked at Nosler, he claimed that most of the brass came from Federal.
That's got to be complete bullcrap. Because Federal brass SUCKS. I can only get about 3-4 loadings in my STW with moderate loads, and it expands so bad from thin walls, that it cracks right at where the webbing meets the walls. It's just junk brass.

I have had phenomenal luck with my Nosler brass. 4+ firings and the primer pockets are still nice, and no overswelling or cracking. So, I would be willing to bet it's made by Norma.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.