7mm brass too short?

The 500 Nitro double is a Searcy, weighs 15lbs and is a pussycat to shoot...unlike my 9lb 505 Gibbs! Hahahaha. It is BRUTAL with a 600gr Woodleigh @ 2350fps.
Most people flinch when shooting the double, but once they touch one off, they all say how little the recoil is, 570gr @ 2150fps.

Cheers.

My buddy came to me with his 7mm as he was having diffuculty chambering some handloads he had. At first I figured the brass was incorrectly sized and needed to be trimmed. I pulled all the bullets and have found the brass range from 2.456" to 2.498". I am confused as to what to do next? Most of the brass falls below the minimum trim to length of 2.49" but I feel the low end is alot short. Would it be best to just start over from the start with all the same brass? I am also confused as to what in the world would cause the bolt so much diffuculty closing if the brass is short, any insight is much appreicated. Thanks.
You're dealing with a belted magnum and they tend to develop bulges ahead of the belt. You might try sizing with a Lee collet die to remove the bulge. Could be an inexpensive fix compared to buying new brass. Especially in this market.

You're dealing with a belted magnum and they tend to develop bulges ahead of the belt. You might try sizing with a Lee collet die to remove the bulge. Could be an inexpensive fix compared to buying new brass. Especially in this market.
The Lee collet die won't remove the bulge above the belt. Larry Willis makes the die that does that. We tested it on a couple pieces of belted brass and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. I own one thinking I may need it some day but never had to use it yet.

The Lee collet die won't remove the bulge above the belt. Larry Willis makes the die that does that. We tested it on a couple pieces of belted brass and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. I own one thinking I may need it some day but never had to use it yet.
My mistake! Where do you get one of Mr Willis' dies.

My feeling is that when loading for a belted mag it is not wise to use once fired brass from another rifle. Much better results using virgin brass fireformed in you chamber. Also as mentioned ditch the die instructions when it comes to belted mags. Set your die up with a comparator so as to get .002-.003 shoulder bump and your cases will then be headspaced off the shoulder rather than the belt. You get much better case life this way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts