7mm mag freebore?

In real life there were no discernable advantages when I ran them through my STW. Inside of 1000yds the wind call was within .2-.3 moa. If you can call wind that close the bullet isn't really giving you an advantage in my opinion.

In the STW I'm limited in mag space anyway. The 195 just made things worse. If I was building a single shot to shoot consistently past 1000 the 195 or 197SMK would get my vote. Otherwise it's the 180Hyb or 183 SMK.

In real life there were no discernable advantages when I ran them through my STW. Inside of 1000yds the wind call was within .2-.3 moa. If you can call wind that close the bullet isn't really giving you an advantage in my opinion.

In the STW I'm limited in mag space anyway. The 195 just made things worse. If I was building a single shot to shoot consistently past 1000 the 195 or 197SMK would get my vote. Otherwise it's the 180Hyb or 183 SMK.
With wind it's always condition relevant, the few times I was comparing with nasty wind gusts, the 197 was .5moa or better than the 180hybrid.
Using my developed loads, According to applied ballistics in a 20mph wind there is 17 inches less drift with the 197 than the 180hybrid, so depending on how much I miss my wind call, I find the heavies have the advantage

Not at 7mag velocity. Get a 195 up to 3100fps in a 28 nosler and it's a dif ball game.

Doesn't really change the argument about the bullet for the same cartridge. If a 28 can push a 195 to 3100 then it could run the 180 to 3250 or maybe a bit more. 10mph wind less than .3moa difference @1000YDS.

At 20mph direct cross wind 1000yds only .6moa better.

The 195 is not garbage. All things considered it's not a huge advantage inside of 1000 compared to the 180. If you build a LA gun to magazine length and throat it for the 195 you'll have a lot of bullet jammed in the case, limiting the cartridge potential. If you maximize whatever cartridge you're running you'll likely be running a single shot.

With wind it's always condition relevant, the few times I was comparing with nasty wind gusts, the 197 was .5moa or better than the 180hybrid.
Using my developed loads, According to applied ballistics in a 20mph wind there is 17 inches less drift with the 197 than the 180hybrid, so depending on how much I miss my wind call, I find the heavies have the advantage

Your point about wind gusts is relevant. Heavier will respond less for sure but how much is debatable. Again, my shooting is mainly inside of 1000, especially on an animal, and I feed from a magazine. Given those criteria I think the 180 class bullets make more sense.

As I stated previously, if pure ballistic performance from a .284 projectile is the only criteria then yes...197 in a single shot, boatail seated to the neck/shoulder junction, chamber reamed for freebore to match...

That will be the best combo and the further out you go the more advantage it will gain over the 180 class bullets.

Doesn't really change the argument about the bullet for the same cartridge. If a 28 can push a 195 to 3100 then it could run the 180 to 3250 or maybe a bit more. 10mph wind less than .3moa difference @1000YDS.

The 195 is not garbage. All things considered it's not a huge advantage inside of 1000 compared to the 180. If you build a LA gun to magazine length and throat it for the 195 you'll have a lot of bullet jammed in the case, limiting the cartridge potential. If you maximize whatever cartridge you're running you'll likely be running a single shot.

Your point about wind gusts is relevant. Heavier will respond less for sure but how much is debatable. Again, my shooting is mainly inside of 1000, especially on an animal, and I feed from a magazine. Given those criteria I think the 180 class bullets make more sense.

As I stated previously, if pure ballistic performance from a .284 projectile is the only criteria then yes...197 in a single shot, boatail seated to the neck/shoulder junction, chamber reamed for freebore to match...

That will be the best combo and the further out you go the more advantage it will gain over the 180 class bullets.
Lol yeah I use the 180 hybrid for hunting, but on targets, the 197 really impressed me.
For the op, throating for the 180eldm works quite well for the 197, the 180hybrid needs a little less room than both the 197 and 180eldm. In the rem mag I would throat for the 180hybrid and you will have enough room for the eldm and 195, 197 and pressure out before running out of capacity

I like energy, I shoot as heavy a bullet I can in a rifle and keep at or above 3000 fps. Right now I'm working with 245 Bergers in my norma improved.

Going back to the same thing as before with the 28 and the 195/197 vs 180/183 the difference is very minimal. The heavies are only around 100lbs greater energy out to 1000.

Nothing wrong the heaviest for caliber bullets out there. But unless you're only shooting extreme distance regularly I don't see the huge advantage.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.