7mm mag/Berger VLD hunter load help

Deederswy

Hey everyone, Im about to start up some loads for my Remington 700 7mag standard 24" barrel using Berger 168gr VLD hunting bullets. Ive been told that Retumbo would be a great powder to use so thats what im starting with. I havnt loaded Bergers yet, so i was wondering what formulas people were using, grains of powder, COAL, primers, accuracy and what velocity and accuracy you're getting too....Im open to any combo but if you could post some with using Retumbo that would be great seeing thats what ill have on hand.....well that and some RL but i use that for my sierra's....Thanks for any info!

~Nick

Hey everyone, Im about to start up some loads for my Remington 700 7mag standard 24" barrel using Berger 168gr VLD hunting bullets. Ive been told that Retumbo would be a great powder to use so thats what im starting with. I havnt loaded Bergers yet, so i was wondering what formulas people were using, grains of powder, COAL, primers, accuracy and what velocity and accuracy you're getting too....Im open to any combo but if you could post some with using Retumbo that would be great seeing thats what ill have on hand.....well that and some RL but i use that for my sierra's....Thanks for any info!

~Nick

Retumbo may be a little slow for your barrel length. It will shoot, but you are going to get a lot of muzzle blast, and not as much velocity as you COULD get. H1000 would be better, and better yet would be H 4831.
I have a 26 in, and with 67.5-H1000-168VLD, and Winchester WLR primer @ 3.336, I am getting 2977. This load in my 700 P is very accurate. The 168 VLD is a very accurate bullet to shoot.

7mm rem mag. 26" krieger barrel 1-10 twist,
Hornady brass, 68.5grs. H1000, cci250 primers, 168vld's @2932fps. Shoots well under .5moa @ 800yds. as long as I don't screw the pooch.:)

I recently helped two friends make loads for their 7 Rem Mags with 168 classic hybrids. 72-73 grs of Retumbo was best for both with velocities approx 2975 fps for both.

win brass, fed 215s.

H1000 for the powder. Do you have a bullet comparator to help you measure seating depth? The Rem's I've worked with seem to like a 0.010" jump to lands and that should fit in your magazine too. Fed 215's are my favorite primer, but it doesn't hurt to try something else if they don't work out for you. Retumbo is prob a bit slow for a 24" tube. I've had good results with IMR7828 too, but found it to be too tempermental. I think most of my comparator lengths with the 168VLD are 2.723"-2.746" at .010" off the lands in the 700's we load for. Of course yours may differ and by all means start low and work up. Do you have a chrony too?

I did one test with my Rem 700 24" barrel using the 168gr Berger with Reloader-22.I loaded 64.5grs,WLRM primer,Win. cases,COL 3.444,velocity 2986fps,three touching @ 200yards.My have to repeat this one.

Joe,

The bullet is generally pretty easy to get to shoot. I put together a load for my 284 win too. I have loaded three different rifles with the 168 30 cal classics as well.

One guy took his on an cow elk hunt in Az last Nov. He remarked that it killed the animal quicker than his past kills. He shot it broadside behind the shoulders.

The other guy shot two nice coues wt in Mexico. He remarked that the bullet had some large exit holes. He hit bone with low shoulder shots. Those shots were in the 400 yd range and he was very happy with the overall performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.