7mm Dakota, rechamber to ?

JD

I have a 7mmDakota built on a M70 CRF action. Its throat is going, and its really only an OK shooter anyway, so Im trying to decide what caliber to rebarrel it to. Because of the bolt face Im kinda limited in choices without alot of bolt face work. Would like the caliber to be between 7mm and 25cal. Was thinking maybe 7wsm, but had been told it may not function well on the long action? Any helpful comments appreciated.

Thanks.

JimD,

The WSMs can be a bear to get to feed well in a long action, especially a CRF action. A push feed is not as big of a deal but a CRF can cause more problems.

If your looking for this type of performance, why not go with the fine old 7mm Rem Mag. Not SEXY or anything but it will top the 7mm WSM in performance despite the comments offered by the designer of the WSM rounds.

Why are you going away from the 7mm Dakota? If you have the dies and brass, why not just rebarrel with a match grade barrel, get the receiver trued up and you will be back in business with 7mm STW performance in a standard action length?

Good SHooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the reply Kirby.

I had thought of both options you mentioned. On using the 7mag, I wasnt sure if its base was big enough for the bolt face of the Dakota. I "thought" the wsm was based on the 404Jeffrey as is the Dakota, so figured it maybe would be better. If the 7mag will work without alot of trouble Id just as soon go with it, even if, like you said, its not as "sexy".

On keeping the caliber the same, I only have about 40 "good" pieces of brass anyway, and its soo **** expensive, I just figured Id change to make it cheaper to shoot.

Thanks again, JimD.

JimD,

What is the OAL length of the rounds that your rifle will handle?

Just thinking of other options that may work in your receiver as is.

YOu are correct, the Dakota rim is larger then the Rem Mag, forgot about that, i believe its even a bit larger then the WSM to be honest but it may work with both. If you have some standard belted magnum brass laying around try to cycle either an empty case or a dummy round and see if it works. Probably will as long as the extractor has enough reach.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

The Dakota rim is .010" bigger than the WSM's and .023" over the standard mag case head. the RUM's are also gonna be to small.
The 7mm Dakota is a great round , I have some stuff here thats gonna end up as a 28" barreled 7mm Dakota. I'm not to sure why your unhappy with your gun but the 7 Dakota will turn out some realy supprising numbers and their brass while being expensive is very good quality

I know a guy that had a 270 wildcat made off the 7mm Dakota case the only differance was the smaller neck for the .277 bullet. His rig was out runing all the posted 270Wby mag data I have seen , so that could be another option but I don't see how your gonna be able to get away from the Dakota case head unless the 338Lapua has the same size head , not to sure of its size

i think the only thing with a larger boltface is a Lazzeroni?? and if so i dont think you would save any money that way. I'd stick with the Dakota, good round.
later
Dan

Everyone, thanks for the replys.

I dont really have a "problem" with the Dakota round, like I said, the brass is just expensive. It is an impressive round. Im getting 3200fps with a 160gr., using RL22. My rifle though, shoots just OK. Maybe 1 moa or slightly larger @ 400 yards, but only with 1 bullet and 1 load, its finnicky. The guy who built it didnt really do a great job, but its Ok for a hunting rifle. It has a tupper ware Winch. stock,(part of the problem) so I found a good deal on a used McM last year for it. I had talked to a well known gunsmith this past spring and he seemed to think he could make the 7mag. work? Guess Ive got some decisions to make.

Thanks again for the input.

Talk to our own Len Backus before you give up on the Dakaota- he is on his 3rd barrel for a dakaota I built and all 3 shot well under 1/2 moa out to 900.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.