7mm Dakota or similar Lightweight pack rifle

Marine25

My name is Jeff from Oregon.I am in need of knowledge and opinions regarding the 7mm dakota.
To start off this is my second custom build. So i have been looking for a great 7mm with middle of the road recoil, great accuracy, and game terminating power. I don't care about cost of brass, unburnt powder, or barrel life in this custom build- just accuracy, lightweight, and minimal brass work.
So with that stuff being said, I am looking at a McMillan carbon hunter stock, Hart barrel #3 fluted or lighter contour, and have a stiller hunting LA on the way with AI mags ( 300wm) length. The questions I have is what reamer and reamer size for factory brass, Barrel length-(is 22", or 23" too short?), is a true 3k fps with 180 vld's realistic with a short barrel? If barrel is short or long what twist. What break? More or less what would you build for a great 7mm non-belted lightweight pack gun with 800yard precision for any game up to and including elk. I very much appreciate your time and opinions.
Thx Jeff

Last edited:
Re: 7mm Dakota or similar LW pack rifle

I'd go with a 7mm STW. You can push the Berger 180's over the 3,000 fps mark. My current load for them nets me incredible accuracy and is running about 2,900 fps out of the muzzle.

I think hat short barrel is going to hurt your velocity. A 7mag and stw usually need at least a 26" barrel with a Slow powder.

I understand that I am going to give up a lot of FPS for a short barrel, but I don't want a long hockey stick for a pack gun. And I truly feel that just because the barrel is short doesn't make it any better of worse than a long one- just the diffrence in velocity. Is there a way to calculate a ballpark figure for FPS out of a rifle?

Sorry I can't help there but I'm sure someone will chime in. You might consider a faster burning powder.

If you want to hit 3000 with a 180 you will need a 24 to 26" barrel if you you go with a 7 Dakota or similar. The other option is to go with a 7 RUM or 7/338 Norma. They will push a 180 at 3200 with a 26" barrel. By dropping to 22 to 23" you might reach the 3000fps limit. Figure on 35 -50 fps loss per inch.
Twist will probably be 1 in 9"

I am in the process of a similar build. I want a light weight pack rifle that will reach 600 odd yards, only deer size as no Elk in NZ. I have gone down the Remington Model 7 7SAUM path. I should get 2900 -3000 but with a 162 a-max.
I have fluted the barrel, threaded for a radial muzzle brake, fluted the bolt and replaced the firing pin with a lightweight one. I have built a carbon fibre stock for it. I will use a Bushnell 6500 2.5 - 16 x42 scope in Talley light weight rings. The rifle should end up in the 6.5 -7 lb range.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts