7mm Dakota

Veritas

I have been pondering this round for a while now. I'd like to shoot some 120's for chucks and then step it up to 140's for deer. Looking to build a 10 pound rifle, cusotm single shot action and put it in an A5 stock. Don't know what twist I should get or for that matter is the 7 Dakota worth loading.

If you like the inherent ballistic coefficient advantage of the 7mm bullet you can choose from cartridges that can be classed as (in ascending horsepower) 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Dakota (about the same as a 7 STW) or the 7mm RUM.

I find the 7mm Dakota to be a good compromise. Plenty of horsepower (velocity and recoil) but not too much for long range big game hunting.

I considered the 7 Dakota myself. After researching there were several things that kept me from doing it. The case head dimension is larger and will require the enlarging of a standard magnum boltface. The brass is at a minimum $1.60 each. A custom reamer and die set will be required too.

An less expensive alternative is necking down the 375 Ruger. Cases are half the price. The bolt face wouldn't have to be altered. Reamer and dies will still be expensive.

After weighing all of the extra expenses I made my long barreled heavy 7mm the 7 Rem Mag.

Seems like a great deal of effort for another 100-150 fps over the 7 Rem Mag. It is your choice.

I think Lens' answer was spot on. Since (i'm guessing here) you'll be reloading, you can get the most from each chambering. All can be down-loaded a bit, but you may find the 7mm REM to be accomplish most of what the others can do in a more efficient package.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.