7mm bullets..?

Sully2

From about 140 gr to about 175 grain. What brand, weight, style even of slugs do you really prefer for your 7mm..?

Im getting ready to start loading and shooting a 280 Remington ( yes Lucille..it IS a 7mm) and dont have the foggiest idea what to seek out???
I dont need anything small because I have a full gamut of below 7MM to play with and the 280 will become my "big gun" as I dont intend on hunting really large animals and with the gamut of smaller calibers I have now...I dont need any 110 or such bullets for the 280.

What would be your choice?

I just had a 280 built. I have been working with nosler 150 etips, 150 barnes tsx and tipped.162 sst are showing good results. You can never go wrong with nosler ballistic tips for accuracy

I just had a 280 built. I have been working with nosler 150 etips, 150 barnes tsx and tipped.162 sst are showing good results. You can never go wrong with nosler ballistic tips for accuracy

+1
The 280 Rem seems to be at its best with bullets in the 140 to 160 grain range. the 280 AI will boost this from 160 to 180 grain bullets.

I like the ballistic tips, Accubonds and the Bergers in these weights.

J E CUSTOM

I've had great success with the 140 AB and I have been killing Elk with the 150g Sirocco for 10-12 years now. The Sirocco has shot excellent (1/2 MOA) to good (1 moa) in each gun I have loaded.

I have used Nosler BT and AB. Good results. However, don't rule out the Sierra 140 gr Pro Hunter. Very good results. Used them for 30 years in my 7 mag. Price makes them very attractive.

Check out the Berger 168 VLD's. I think you'll enjoy the results and accuracy.

I swapped from 160 Accubonds to 168 VLD's in my hunting rifles and have nothing but praises for the Berger bullets. Better expansion, better energy distribution, better knockdown, etc...

Accuracy, both are accurate, but after this season, I am swapping to Berger VLD's for good.

Another vote for the 140 grain (and slightly heavier) nosler tipped pills here (with the 280 any one will work well). The sierra 140 grain pro hunter pills are the cat's meow also in a mid capacity 7mm. Hornady makes a good pill too, but in 7mm, the only one I really like of the Hornady lineup is the 175 grain interlock.

I shoot a 7mm SAUM and it should have ballistics similar to your 280. I've shot a lot of 139 SST for easy white tail hunting where range is usually lees than 400 yards. Have had very acceptable accuracy(1 moa)and reliable performance on Midwest white tails.

I have better accuracy with 162gr SST and plan on using that on elk hunt this year(Dec 2014) in New Mexico. I think IMO that is one of the best all around bullets as far as expansion, stoutness and BC. But, I would not shy away from any Nosler 150-160 Accubond or Partition, Matrix flat based 160 or even the Sierra HP hunting bullet(not Match).

If you work up a load(or buy factory ammo) and are confident with rifle and combo, practice at various distances you expect to shoot, that is the most important.

Let us know how that "7mm" shoots.

In our 7 mags we've had great luck with the 150 Etips for here in California but if I could use lead I would stick with the Berger 168 VLD.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.