7mm Bullet Advice Please

59FLH

I have been shooting 7mm 139gn Hornady Interlock out of my new rifle at a Lab Radar speed of 3200 fps. I am considering changing bullets.

My three choices are:

1. 139gn Hornady Interbond
2. 140gn Nosler Partition
3. Continue with the 139gn Hornady BTSP

Targets are Paper and WT Deer, distances up to 300yds (500yds if needed)

Please explain your choice.

The 139 Horn interlock is a fantastic bullet for game, why are you looking to change?
I am getting ready to start loading for a 280AI and have these bullets to try. I get 3200fps from my 284 Win and assume I will get the same or more from the 280AI. At 200-300yds I have shot Deer wit the IB at 3200fps and the IL at 2850fps and the IB performance was more impressive. I assume due to the increase in energy. I have used the Hornady Interlock 100gn in 6mm @ 3000fps with mixed results, it seems to explode at close range and is slow to expand at long range. I don't want to waste effort if 3200+ fps is to fast for the 139 Interlock.

Hmm ok, 3200 out a 284 with a 140 is pretty hard running....I don't know of anyone running them at any if at all over 3K

best of luck to ya

side not the 139 Horn sp (not the boat tail) is incredibly easy to get to perk well, and it has a short bearing surface. My fire form load for my 7 MSM runs around 3150 to some lots 3200. I've used the load for 3 decades or so on elk on down from close to far. I can't complain about it's performance at all. Personally, I'd not worry about using them one bit.

You are most likely experiencing bullet fragmentation due to the high velocity impact with the light bullet. This leads to lack of penetration in some cases therefore slow kills.

The Partition will hold together better and most likely give you exit wound as well.

I'm not a fan of bonded bullets, in my experience they don't destroy vitals like Interlocks, partitions or other cup and core bullets.

Like @DJ Fergus mentioned, the 162gr Interlock and SST will do some serious damage. I prefer the 162gr SST.

Might want to look at, the 162 gr, BTSP / SST Hornadys or 168 gr. HVLD Bergers for, Target work and Longer Ranges on, Big Game.
Berger's, are shooting, sub 1/2 MOA, in 3 Rifles for, us !
Partiton's are,.. NEVER, a "bad" choice for, Big Game !
Not crazy about, most Bonded Bullets as they could be, too "Hard" and " may" NOT, expand / mushroom, well ( they seem, Velocity dependent ! ).
The Horn. 154 gr. InterBonds DID work very well, in a 7 MM Rem Mag @ 3,075 FPS for me, tho !
Not impressed with,.. ELD-X's or Regular, AccuBonds,.. ON, Elk !
We're "Sold" on, Bergers, Now !

Last edited: