7mm allen

If one runs the numbers on this, the conclusion is this has got be about the finest ballistics you can obtain in a sub 12 lb rifle. Holy moley.
Yup! :) They are fun to crawl in behind and put the crosshairs on something waaaay out there.

I run a 32" bbl on mine and I think Buffalobob has a 34" bbl on his if I remember right.

To better the ballistics of the 7mm AM/200 ULD RBBT combo you have to step up to something like the 338-408 CT wildcats and even at that, only the largest of these 408 wildcats will match the 7mm AM.

Even at that, most 338-408 CT wildcats are loaded with the 300 gr SMK to 3200-3300 fps. At this level, the 7mm AM with the 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3300 fps will still shoot flater and drift less then the big 338.

The aluminum tipped 338 bullets will turn the advantage toward the big 338 but still, when you consider the size of chambering needed to match the 7mm AM ballistically, its very impressive. Now we just need to get back to a steady supply of 200 gr ULD RBBTs being available.

To be honest, I would prefer to see a heavy jacketed 175-180 gr Aluminum tipped bullet with a BC in the .850 range as it would have the ability to handle all the 7mm AM could produce and with that bullet weight, you would be able to push 3500 fps pretty easily with that bullet weight as long as baring surface was not dramatically higher then the 175 gr SMK.

The reason I would prefer a bullet in this weight instead of a tipped 200 gr ULD RBBT is simply because a tipped 175 gr bullet would be able to be fired out of a standard 1-9 twist barrel just like the 200 gr ULD RBBT. This would keep the pressure curve nice and predictable, the faster twist barrels in this class of chambering can be more finicky with top end loads.

Looks like I'm trying to resurrect an old thread here....

50Driver, or anyone else out there.... I was wondering about load development for the 7mmAM and the Berger 195gr that just came out. I was lucky enough to get my hands on several boxes of these Bergers. I'm sure they will work well in the 7mmAM.

I do have Quickload software, but I don't have the data for 7mmAM to run the numbers.

Any pet loads or similar data would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.