Realoding the 7mm Allen Mag

OneLunG

So, I just recently aquired a 7mm AM.

Its been a LONG time since I've reloaded, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

I know the very very very basics, but am in need of some help.

What steps do I need to do to get good accurate loads for the 7mm AM?

I have some Retumbo and am starting with 160grn Accubonds since the SMK's I wanted were backordered as well as the Bergers.

I have custom dies for the caliber.

I just don't know what all I need to be doing for this caliper?

Someone, please give me newbie instructions!

Thanks!

I would send a email to Kirby Allen and ask him these questions. Who would know better than the guy that made and developed it.

I don't have one so I don't know this for certain but will the Match Berger bullets hold up better than the hunting bullets to those velocites or do they come apart also?

So I shot about 20 rounds today of my first loads through this rifle.

Started at 90grns Retumbo behind a 160grn Accubond seated about .005 off the lands. Worked all the way up to 98 grns.

At 98 grns I was pushing about 3,650FPS with very minimal signs of pressure. Accuracy was quite nice, less than 1/2" groups at 100.

Time to work up some more!

Love the rifle - First time shooting it. I was also shooting my Remington 700 that my PD issued me. The 7mm AM by APS has less "felt" recoil then the 700. Tis truly a dream to shoot.

Keep the barrel cool if you want it to last.

The normal pressure signs will not be obvious even when there is a lot of pressure. That is the way Kirby designed it.

Clean the barrel and especially the throat.

Don't waste your money on the Bergers.

Once you have found a good load quit testing.

Develop your drop chart and keep good written notes on the results and conditions under which it was developed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.