7mm Allen Magnum for sale on Cabelas web site, be WARNED!!!!

Its not really Christensen's fault that Cabelas is advertising it as theirs... Has anyone contacted Christensen? I bet they would be just as surprised as Kirby...

Its not really Christensen's fault that Cabelas is advertising it as theirs... Has anyone contacted Christensen? I bet they would be just as surprised as Kirby...

Kirby's issue is not with Cabelas it is with Christensen. What they did to that barrel is a big no-no, and could have huge accuracy issues. When the new owner shoots shotgun groups, who is he going to blame? Kirby is worried that the problems that Christensen my have created will be related/blamed on him and his work.

Chirstensen be suprised? How could they? They didn't take Kirbys name off. Nope, they slapped their name right next to his. Kind of like drawing a mustache on Mona Lisa and then signing my name next to Da Vinci.

I tried to contact both Christian and Cabela's asking about it as if I were intrested in buying it and have had no response from either.

Kirby's issue is not with Cabelas it is with Christensen. What they did to that barrel is a big no-no, and could have huge accuracy issues. When the new owner shoots shotgun groups, who is he going to blame? Kirby is worried that the problems that Christensen my have created will be related/blamed on him and his work.

Chirstensen be suprised? How could they? They didn't take Kirbys name off. Nope, they slapped their name right next to his. Kind of like drawing a mustache on Mona Lisa and then signing my name next to Da Vinci.

Who knows what exactly happened? Some smith could have taken the barrel off, sent it to Christensen to wrap it? How could that be a bad call on their part? For $625, you send them a barrel and they wrap it... and for safety reasons, they would HAVE to put what cartridge it is chambered for back on it...I would think anyway...

Adam32,

The way I understand it, any sporting good shop can put rifles up for sale on cabelas sight, kind of like an E-bay for rifles. I have no problem with that.

I have no problem with Christensen Arms taking a used rifle and converting the barrel to a carbon wrapped barrel and putting it up for sale.

I do have a problem with the fact that this barrel is well used, is chambered in a cartridge I designed and the potential buyer will associate with me and they are charging nearly $3500 for it.

I simply do not know how they can take a large contour barrel, turn it down to a very small diameter sleeve and wrap the barrel without the internal bore dimensions changing to some degree.

Again, my only issue is that its my name on that chambering and I would suspect the rifle will not shoot up to my standards and I do not want a customer purchasing that rifle and associating it with me as I am sure it will not meet my 1/2 moa standards with the conversions that have been done to that barrel.

That is my only concern, do not want someone to get burned for $3500 on a very used rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Bumping, we do not want anyone to buy this used rifle. The person needs to know that Kirby will build him a new rifle for less that the one at Cabelas.

Has anyone talked to Christensen or Cabelas.

W.

Kirby,

Thats what I was thinking too. I just didn't really see a reason to blame Christensen. I was actually looking at it probably about 3-4 months ago, but for the price it wasn't worth it, now its a rip off since its been used hard. Thanks for the heads up Kirby.

338 Allen Magnum

Hi Kirby,

About how much would it cost for a 338 Allen Magnum and how does it differ from say a 338 RUM or a 338-378 Weathrby in performance and kick?

I have to reload either way right. How much does it cost per round on the reload side?

Thx,
Ed

Re: 338 Allen Magnum

Hi Kirby,

how does it differ from say a 338 RUM or a 338-378 Weathrby in performance and kick?
Ed

The 338 Allen Mag is in a complete different league than the two you mention.

I think it beats the 338 RUM w/300 grain projectiles by 4 or 500 FPS, maybe more.

Kick w/a proper brake is comfortable, I'm told. I haven't shot one but am anticipating a 375 AM experience.

Unbelievable, pays to do your homework I think. Personally if I were looking to buy a used rifle I'd look for it here from a member I'm familar with.

Kirby,

I'd work at your own pace. Enjoying what you do will allow you to have more fun and some free time to shoot and hunt too!. Money's not the end all. Life is too short...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.