7mm 162gr ELD-X for elk?

Longshotjames

Muzzle velocity is 3000fps w the 7mm 162gr eld-X

Does anyone have personal experience with this bullet on elk?
Also
If you have experience with the ELD-X what would you say would be the max range based on energy, bullet performance and the MV mentioned above?
Thanks
James

The ELD-X is so new to the market I'd be really surprised if anyone other than a beta tester had actual elk experience with it. I think some of the Gunwerks guys on here have done some field testing in Africa with it on live animals of different sizes before it was released to the public though but I won't swear to it.

I'm primarily an elk hunter who has been shooting 300 win mag and Barnes 180 TTSX with great success but I have just had a new 7mm built with the specific intention of hunting elk with the new 7mm ELD-X 175gr and use the 162gr ELD-X for mule deer and antelope. Having shot quite a few elk with the .300 / 180gr combo I don't think I'll be comfortable using a 162gr bullet on an elk. That's just MY personal approach and philosophy for MY comfort level because there's many people here who will fight to the death that their smaller caliber is right for their elk preference and experience.

Any of those bullets will kill any of those animals in the right situation but that is my strategy. As for distance, "on paper" the 7mm 175gr ELD-X will deliver the same kinetic energy as my 300 win mag shooting 180gr TTSX a full 200 yards farther.

I don't profess to be anything other than an aspiring long range hunter but again "on paper" the ELD-X looks great downrange and as for dialing in a load on my new Proof 7mm, it seems to love the 162gr ELD-X hand loads I'm making.

I have a bull elk tag here in Nevada coming up in October and hopefully I can have my own field report to show afterward!

~Robert

Rob,
I figure your right about the timing of he ELD release but thought I would ask.

Thank you for your reply.

I plan to use this tikka 7mag as a back up long range rifle on my elk hunt this October. I used it for Texas wt and hogs last year and hammered them in the 6-700yd range with 160tmk!

It has a 1:9.5 twist and I can't get it to accurately shoot any 175gr bullets(what I preferred) but does .5moa with 160class bullets. I tried 175 partitions and 175ABLR

I Finally got my hands on a box of the 162gr eld-X and got my first test batch loaded up for accuracy testing. I'll report when I get to do some ballistic testing too.
James

Not wanting to butt in but what are your feeling about a 7x57 AI & 150's for elk at less that 200 yd ranges? The wife & I are planning to be in Montana late Oct/early Nov for elk. Outfitter has said all shots will be less than 200 and maybe less than 150. Thanks

Not wanting to butt in but what are your feeling about a 7x57 AI & 150's for elk at less that 200 yd ranges? The wife & I are planning to be in Montana late Oct/early Nov for elk. Outfitter has said all shots will be less than 200 and maybe less than 150. Thanks

go forth and fill an ark,,,,, my son has shot a number of cow elk with the 150 ballistic tip and a 7x57,,,,,one shot kills always, 150 yard average shots,

i have a bunch of the 162 eld x waiting to try them, been shooting the 160 accubond at 3110 fps 7 dead bulls for that load,812 yards farthest, 68 yards closest, looking for little more energy little better windage with the hornady hoping for 3000 or more

I sure would love to see them at those ranges ... and in public lands. :):Dgun)

Feenix, We will be hunting some private lands & some public lands. Per the Outfitter we will do most of our hunting along the edge of farming lands in blinds. I n case you haven't figured it out, this hunt is going to be an old man hunt. I will be almost 71 when we actually hunt & climbing up and down the hillsides & mountains ain't for me. Been a flatlander all my life, born & raised in East Texas. Thanks Daniel

My father is going to load these in his 7mm STW for Elk and below. Go forth and kill with confidence. I shot a 300 lb black bear with my custom 6.5 STW and 143gr ELD X and it looked like he was hit with lightning. I wouldn't think twice for a second. They are wonderully accurate and do just as they say on game. Happy Hunting and good luck.

I don't have hundreds of elk under my belt but I feel a well placed shot from a 7x57 at those ranges will certainly get the job done! I would steer clear of the ballistic tip and lean more towards a Accubond or Partition. Just something that will hold together better than the ballistic tip(the jacket is thin and expands rapid but light penatration).
Good luck, I hope to read your report
James

I don't have hundreds of elk under my belt but I feel a well placed shot from a 7x57 at those ranges will certainly get the job done! I would steer clear of the ballistic tip and lean more towards a Accubond or Partition. Just something that will hold together better than the ballistic tip(the jacket is thin and expands rapid but light penatration).
Good luck, I hope to read your report
James

+1

Good advise.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.