7mm 150 gr E-Tip Report

JD338

I tested some 7mm 150 gr E-Tip bullets in my 280 AI. The test consisted of shooting into 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water at 100 yds. Bullets were recovered sticking out the back side of jug #6. Average velocity was 2940 fps. Recovered weight was 148.4 grs for all three bullets and the expanded diameter is 0.587".
Accuracy was just under 1 inch but I will work with the COL to fine tune. I did try one load that went 2976 fps.
7mm150grE-Tip.jpg

7mm150grE-TipRecoveredinJugs.jpg

7mm150grE-TipRecovered.jpg

JD338

Thanks for the report JD338. I have been curious about these bullets but haven't got a chance to test them yet.

Tell me, the two jugs on either side of the jug that contained the bullet look like they are full. Is this just an optical illusion? What side of the pic was the bullet coming from?

Another test that would even interest me more is if you could load the bullets down to a MV of say 2000 fps and retest. This would show a longer range impact velocity and that is what really concerns me about these bullets.

goodgrouper

The bullet was traveling from right to left.
The jugs to the right were destroyed and were replaced when I realized I had my camera in the truck! I recovered three bullets, all were sticking out the back of jug #6. I am going to test them at a lower velocity but was more interested in higher velocity and accuracy since I only loaded 10 rounds. More testing to do and I will post my findings.

I also have some 338 250 gr AB's to test as soon as I get them, should be July.

JD338

JD338
Thanks for the report and info. That was pretty awesome. The mushroomed bullet looks alot like the TSX. I am going to have to try some in my 7mmRM. Good photo also. You should sell it to Nosler for marketing. JohnnyK.

Why not a long range design?

I'm wondering if these bullets couldn't be made closer to a VLD shape for long range. Add about 20 to 30 grains onto the front and boattail. Keep about the same amount of bearing surface and solid shank. Seems to me that you could make the area behind the tip thin enought that it would expand maybe even below the 1800fps I've seen so far. But there would be enough thicker jacket behind that to slow expansion and you'd still have a long solid shank. A long bullet like that might be good close or far. Nosler needs a line of bullets for long range. Maybe they haven't tried or maybe the accuracy isn't there. Probably they think the demand isn't there. Only problem I have with Nosler is they are slow; with a new line or adding to existing line of bullets. But I trust them to get it right when they do a bullet. I suspect the Etips will be good.

One thing is obvious this bullet compared to the 150 gn 308 Etip, has a much longer solid shank. It is designed for more penetration than the 150 308 Etip. Again I think they'll get that right and give us good bullets for any job. Any job except really long range...so far. Maybe they'll get to that at some point.

Last edited:
Real good test there, thanks for the info. I think another good test would be to get a 2' x 2' cardboard box, put a heavy duty garbage bag in it, fill it full of water and shoot it downrange 600, 700, 800 etc.

Also, the E-Tips are advertised to expand down to 1800 fps which is about the same as a VLD.

Question: if I were to use VLD's versus normal bullets wouldn't I need a bit faster rifling for those longer bullets?? I have a 1-8.5" 6.5mm barrel on order, but am just curious what twist is needed for the VLD's or the heavier Wildcat bullet line made here in Alberta.

I'm wondering if these bullets couldn't be made closer to a VLD shape for long range. Add about 20 to 30 grains onto the front and boattail. Keep about the same amount of bearing surface and solid shank. Seems to me that you could make the area behind the tip thin enought that it would expand maybe even below the 1800fps I've seen so far. But there would be enough thicker jacket behind that to slow expansion and you'd still have a long solid shank. A long bullet like that might be good close or far. Nosler needs a line of bullets for long range. Maybe they haven't tried or maybe the accuracy isn't there. Probably they think the demand isn't there. Only problem I have with Nosler is they are slow; with a new line or adding to existing line of bullets. But I trust them to get it right when they do a bullet. I suspect the Etips will be good.

One thing is obvious this bullet compared to the 150 gn 308 Etip, has a much longer solid shank. It is designed for more penetration than the 150 308 Etip. Again I think they'll get that right and give us good bullets for any job. Any job except really long range...so far. Maybe they'll get to that at some point.

I thought the ETip was a soild copper like the Barnes? If it is, then it doesn't have a jacket, does it?

Just curious,
Rocky

The Etip doesn't have a jacket in the conventional sense. But it does have a cavity in the nose below the polycarbonate tip. So I was referring to the thickness of the material surrounding the cavity. If the ogive were longer and skinnier, the "jacket" surrounding the cavity would be thinner unless the cavity were made narrower.

I'm far from a bullet designer. Was just musing about my desire for higher BC bullets from Nosler. The only shortcoming of their bullets, in my view, is lower BC when compared to Berger and some others.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.