7mm 150 gr. gameking

I would say it's a descent bullet out to about 400-500 yards but after that I would look to a vld hunting bullet such as a berger 168 or 180 vld. I have no experience with the matchkings in 7mm but have heard they work well in .30 cal and .338.

270bdl, What are you planning on shooting? Makes a big difference. I've not had the best luck with Sierra bullets except on paper> Great accuracy, so-so performance on game. Pretty explosive at times.

Not in the grain weight your asking about....but
I've been playing with Sierra's 7 MM 160 gr spitzer boat tail gamekings (1920) out of a model 70, just for paper (F class) and I can not get them to work, they fly all over the place (I've cut some through with the lathe and it seems the lead core is not concentric towards the front of the bullet). I had better results with Speer's 160 gr boat tail (1634) I haven't had the time to prove how much better. just to see the difference I loaded 5, 175 gr hpbt match (1975) Sierra's about .005 off the lands and at the max of published data and I was suprised with the accuracy. I was attempting to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear with the game kings.
I apologize in advance if this not an appropriate response in your thread.
Norm

What I'm looking for is a basic varmint load. I want something with some weight similar to my deer load. I've been using 150 gr. core lokt's but I don't get enough expansion with them. The bullet just zips through on groundhogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.