7mm-08

midmo

would 7mm-08 work for long range shooting? hunting? I don't know much about it other than it is bigger than .243. I didn't know if the bc's of 7mm bullets would change effective range of the bullet. I am trying to choose between 7mm-08 and .243. probably the biggest thing to hunt would me whitetail. I would like it to be versatile-varmint or deer or paper punching.

i also thought about 25-06

Of the three calipers you picked, the 7mm-08 is the best option. You'll have higher BC bullets and longer barrel life. You can push the heavies at a reasonable velocity to take whitetail to 800yds. As far as paper and varmint, run the thing as far as you can.

Of the three calipers you picked, the 7mm-08 is the best option. You'll have higher BC bullets and longer barrel life. You can push the heavies at a reasonable velocity to take whitetail to 800yds. As far as paper and varmint, run the thing as far as you can.

+1
I hunt with a 7/08 and it does better than it should on deer at 600+ yards and at targets, For several
years David Tubbs used one to win at camp perry (Including the 1000 yard matches).

They are amazingly accurate and deadly on all game up to Elk with the right bullet.

J E CUSTOM

I have a 708 AI and the furthest ive shot it for accuracy is 600. I'm am really happy with it. I've killed deer at 400 with it, but nothing past that.

If you reload look into the 260 or another 6.5mm bullet cartridge. If you don't reload start reloading and look into the 6.5mm's haha.

I have a 7mm-08 that I've had for 15 years. Dad bought it for me for my first bolt-action deer rifle. It's taken many whitetails out to 400+ (free-hand shooting). I still have that old Ruger sittin in the safe, but these days my main deer rifle is a Browing A-Bolt II Composite Stalker w/ BOSS in 7mm Rem Mag.

The BC of a bullet doesn't change from caliber to caliber......Each individual bullet (projectile) has it's own BC, that varies from brand, model, and bullet weight, whether it's loaded into a 7mm-08, or a 7mmRUM, or anything inbetween. I think what you are meaning to ask is how will it's trajectory or ballistics be for shooting deer at that range.

Either way, I think the 7mm-08 is a great round, I shoot 140gr Nosler Accubonds out of my handloads, and for factory ammo I shoot Hornady 139gr SST's. I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone (probably Nosler Custom) offers 7mm-08 factory loads with Accubond bullets.

If you are wanting a nasty 7mm caliber that is perfect from 100-1000+ I'd suggest looking into a 7mm Rem Mag, or a 7mmSTW. But is a very expensive caliber to shoot if you don't handload.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.