7mm-08 load?

stonepony

I am getting some brass ready formy new rifle and was wondering what everyones pet load was (bullet and powder) for hunting and long range shooting? Interested to see what you got!

I am getting some brass ready formy new rifle and was wondering what everyones pet load was (bullet and powder) for hunting and long range shooting? Interested to see what you got!

I have tried almost every bullet, powder combination and these were the best I found
for the 7/08 Remington.

For hunting - The 120 gr ballistic tip, 49.5 gr H 414 and a cci br2 primer.
For running bore shoots = 140gr Barnes x (they retain weight longer on steel targets)
41grs H4895 and rem large rifle primer.
For long range target = 168 gr SMK, 43.5gr H4350 and a remington large rifle primer.

These loads were for a Remington short action custom with a 20" shutz brothers hunter
bench rest stainless barrel.

All loads shot under 1/10 of an inch 5 shot groups.

With the advent of Varget I have a good load I'm working on In the neighborhood of 45 grs
and the 120 BT.

These are in my rifle . The only load that seams to shoot well in every rifle I have tried them
in was the H 414 load.

I hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

This is not what I would call a pet load, but it shoots well in my daughter's rifle. 140g Accubond, 47g H4350, Winchester large rifle primer.

It was a load I threw together in a hurry and it shot very well, so I never bothered to try to improve it.

Steve

+1 on the 120 Btip and H414. Those have always been my go to components for the 7mm08.

JE

not to hijack the thread but, I use to shoot running boar with the Army MTU years ago when it was 50m and 22 LR.

where are you shooting steel target centerfire running boar? PM me with details.

BH

JE, What kind of velocity are you getting out of the 45gr varget with the 120 BT? I picked up some varget and 120gr BTs yesterday and it has always been my go to powder in my 308. I also picked up some IMR 4350 and was wondering if yall have had any luck?

I worked up this load several years ago for a Wy. Antelope/Mule Deer hunt. The gun is a Rem. Mtn. rifle with a very slender barrel. PLEASE BE ADVISED, THIS LOAD IS A LITTLE WARM. Primers were fine, just a slight extractor mark on a couple of cases all mic'd within specs. IN YOUR GUN PRESSURE MAY BE DIFFERENT!

45.2 gr IMR4064, Hornady 139gr SST, CCI 250 primers. Avg. speed 2978, ES 26.6 SD 10.0

Shot was taken at 286 yards. I was aiming just behind the shoulder of the Antelope but the cross wind was stronger then I thought. Bullet entered dead center low on the right shoulder, took out the top 2/3 of the heart and exited off side shoulder. The goat never took a step, fell on his nose, and kicked a rear leg once.

JE, What kind of velocity are you getting out of the 45gr varget with the 120 BT? I picked up some varget and 120gr BTs yesterday and it has always been my go to powder in my 308. I also picked up some IMR 4350 and was wondering if yall have had any luck?

The 45.0 gr varget load with the 120gr BT is 3156 ft/sec in my 20" Shilen barrel .But still have
some more experimenting to do. (Will move up and down by 2 tenths of a grain until I find
the sweet spot.

The H 414 load will match the velocity during the summer but slows during the winter.(H 414
is heat sensitive).

Varget is a great powder and I hope I can make it shoot as accurate as the 414.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.