7mm-08 LRAB

jsthntn247

Anybody try the 150 or 168 long range accubonds in a 7mm-08? I've been trying to get the 150's to work with Power Pro 2000mr. Once they get over 2700 fps the groups get horrendous. I built the 7-08 9 twist on a long action and throated it where the pressure ring of a 162 amax was above the neck shoulder junction so I have plenty of room for powder. With the 150's I only have .150 of bearing surface in the case and am wondering if I should I try a slower powder like H4350 to get better case fill? I have a distinct node at 42.5 grains and 2700 fps and 0 pressure but when I try to reach the next node which should be around 43.7 grains the groups all string out to about 1.5 moa. I've read all the post on here about the Lrab's and it seems they are hit or miss. Just trying to see if anybody else has any experience with these bullets in a 7-08.

Anybody try the 150 or 168 long range accubonds in a 7mm-08? I've been trying to get the 150's to work with Power Pro 2000mr. Once they get over 2700 fps the groups get horrendous. I built the 7-08 9 twist on a long action and throated it where the pressure ring of a 162 amax was above the neck shoulder junction so I have plenty of room for powder. With the 150's I only have .150 of bearing surface in the case and am wondering if I should I try a slower powder like H4350 to get better case fill? I have a distinct node at 42.5 grains and 2700 fps and 0 pressure but when I try to reach the next node which should be around 43.7 grains the groups all string out to about 1.5 moa. I've read all the post on here about the Lrab's and it seems they are hit or miss. Just trying to see if anybody else has any experience with these bullets in a 7-08.

I don't have the experience with the 708 but experience with the 308 and ABLRs. It is an opinion the not having the full bearing surface of the bullet in the neck won't allow the bullet to be guided into the lands properly. Maybe experiment with that. H4350 would also be a good powder to try. Even if it's compressed. I've found the 210s to be very accurate in both my 308 and 300 win but they're both under 2700'sec. Maybe there's something to lower velocities. With the great BCs and low velocity expansion properties, they don't need to be launched at blistering speeds. While they don't have BCs that are advertised, they're still stellar. I haven't found them to be sensitive to bullet jump either.

I had a load worked up for a 7wsm and 162 amax's. Couldn't find the amax's so I just inserted the 168 Lrab's at the same powder charge and seated them to just touch the lands just as the amax's were. First 4 shots went into a group in the .1's at 150 yards. The 150's in this 7-08 have not been that easy to find a load for.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.