7mm-08 improved ballistics..question?

huntem

I have debated for some time about building a solid "average" mountain light weight rifle to hunt deer sized animals. I have the super ultra wiz bang magnums in both small and large bore.

I keep leaning toward the 7mm-08 caliber but I have seen a few folks chamber rifles in the "improved" version. I was wondering if anyone could share some insight to the ballistics compared to the stand 7mm-08?

Thanks in advance

The straight 284 is also a very good. Laupa brass and no fire forming. I think the 7-08 ackley is a great cartidge but with the 284 case already being there, I would go that route. Reed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

the 7mm/08 Imp gains about 50-100 fps throughout the bullet weights. IMO not worth it... but opinions are like, well, you know. I think you're on the right track with the 7mm/08 for your purposes though.

I bought my daughter a Tikka T3 light in 7mm-08 for her first bear hunt. The Nosler partitions did a superb job with her well placed shot.

Matter of fact, I'm planning on taking the rifle for PA's bear season on Monday 11/20

I agree the AI is not worth it in 7-08. I went the 7-08 route and was pretty satisfied, but rebuilt to 284 and like it even better. About 150-200 fps more than a 7-08 with the same size and weight rifle. Dies, brass, etc. readily avaiable for 284 Win. Really a no brainer if you want the ultimate 7mm lightweight. That is why one of Ultralights number 1 calibers in light rifles!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.