7mm-08 and RL16

few months ago I stumbled onto a great load in my rifle (tikka t3 lite) in the 7mm08

160 nab 47.0gr RL19 2.78 oal cci large rifle primer

cloverleaf 3shot group at 200 yards

I couldn't believe my eyes.
the only downside is that it's not very fast 2300fps 10' from muzzle

I have a relatively new Kimber Pro Hunter in 7-08 and I'm shooting 162 ELD-X's. Have tried various powders shooting this bullet which shoots well. Powders tried with this bullet have been 4166, 4451, Ramshot Hunter and Reloader 17. Velocities anywhere from 2550 to being able to bust 2800 fps with Reloader 17. Velocity wise R17 the best with good accuracy. Velocities achieveable with R17 better than Hornady Manual showed with a little less powder too. Accuracy very good with lots of touchers with Hunter, R16 but velocity lower than I would like. I would have thought the velocity of R16 would have been a bit more comparable to R17 but in my situation not. R17 almost 200 fps more than with R16. Have just picked up some of the new 6.5 Staball ( Winchester ) to try! It sounds very good just need opportunity to shoot some!

I have a relatively new Kimber Pro Hunter in 7-08 and I'm shooting 162 ELD-X's. Have tried various powders shooting this bullet which shoots well. Powders tried with this bullet have been 4166, 4451, Ramshot Hunter and Reloader 17. Velocities mnanywhere from 2550 to being able to bust 2800 fps with Reloader 17. Velocity wise R17 the best with good accuracy. Velocities achieveable with R17 better than Hornady Manual showed with a little less powder too. Accuracy very good with lots of touchers with Hunter, R16 but velocity lower than I would like. I would have thought the velocity of R16 would have been a bit more comparable to R17 but in my situation not. R17 almost 200 fps more than with R16. Have just picked up some of the new 6.5 Staball ( Winchester ) to try! It sounds very good just need opportunity to shoot some!
My Bergara, seems to like the R17 as well, and am process of doing ladders with StaBall. I'm told by a few guys, here, and that I know personally, that as you approach your max, the up charges , seem to compound, and gets a little sensitive. I'm not sure if I want to deal with that. On the other hand, as good as RL17 is, then you have the fire cracking in the barrel. Great velocity, and accuracy though. And I'm hearing the same on the RL16. No fire cracking, but you run out of real estsate, before you get your velocity.
Vargets sounding better by the minute.

I never shot heavier than 140s in my 7-08, but 4350, RL16, or Varget just didn't give me the speed I wanted. Big Game gave me the speed I was looking for. I don't know how it would do with the heavys, though.
Case fill indicates maxed to compressed loads with 140's. What powder charge do you use? Its a faster burning powder than RL15 or any of the 4350's, but slower than IMR 4064, Varget and RL16. Ramshot Big Game was listed as the most accurate powder tested with 140's in 7mm08 however, and also the fastest among all powder's listed in this post by current Nosler reloading info.

Last edited:
I've used Accurate Arms XMR 4350 for years in my 7mm-08 with 160 gr. bullets. I never compared to other powders because it worked well, and I had lots of the powder. I just got an email from them saying they've had explosion and fire problems with stored 4350 and issued a recall. I haven't thrown out my 8 lbs of powder yet. I think I'll call and talk to them first. I've had my powder almost 20 years, and it is still working fine. I live in NM, so humidity isn't much of an issue.

I haven't thrown out my 8 lbs of powder yet. I think I'll call and talk to them first. I've had my powder almost 20 years, and it is still working fine. I live in NM, so humidity isn't much of an issue.
I think You are fine, humidity biggest enemy and where you live that's not an issue. I would use it not pitch it. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.