7mm-08 and 4007SSC

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cfvickers, Dec 4, 2011.

1. cfvickers

cfvickers Well-Known Member

I have looked at a few places with user submitted loads and I cannot find where anyone is using it to a great extent. The data in manuals suggests it would be very good, I bought a pound of it to work with but I would like to know, why does it seem so few use this powder. I have not used a lot of IMR powders, is it just new or something? Or is it just inconsistent.

2. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

There normally a good lag time from when a powders first introduced and getting into all the reloading manuals. Hornady's new manual #8 has loading data using IMR-4007ssc in the 7-08.

According to IMR, IMR-4007ssc "ideally suited for the varmint cartridges like the 220 Swift,22-250 and 243" and they do mention cases like 30-06,300WSM and 243/25WSSM.

Hard to speculate on powders I have few reason why I don't try new powders and few why I do. I don't mind trying new powders on a new rifle on an existing rifle I'm pretty set on the loads I've worked up.

I've had pretty good luck with IMR-4007ssc in a 243AI and I tried it in a 300WSM,30-06 and 22-250AI and I'm going to do little more with it in the 300WSM.

3. cfvickers

I just got a Model 700 VLS I believe built in 1997 in 7mm-08 and I have a pound of it I am going to work with to see how it does with this rifle. I just got worried when I saw nothing ever mentioned of it in this cartridge. It looks like it should do quite well according to the load data on Hodgdon's load data center. But I did not know when it was introduced and wondered why noone ever mentioned using it. I bought it based on the fact that it seems to get good velocities with a variety of bullets in 7mm-08. If I can get it to group well, as the other three powders I have tried have in this gun at 100, then I am hoping the ES/SD will be low enough to stretch it out a bit.

4. 13point

13point Well-Known Member

I've been trying it in my 7-08. I have not had time to really work with it though. I have velosity #'s in the 2840 fps range with Swift SII 150's, Norma Brass and CCI BR primers (using Hodgdon data). I think this is smoking for a 7-08. I have some loaded up for the next trip to the range and see what I can find to be the most accurate load. Keep us updated on your results.

5. TJAY

TJAY Well-Known Member

I have used it in a 7-08 with 140 gr, TSX with good results, 2nd best load. I also use it in 338-06 and a 300 SAUM. I am looking to get an 8 pound bottle and try in several others.

6. cfvickers

13pt, What is your barrel length?

7. 13point

13point Well-Known Member

22 1/4" 1 in 9 twist PacNor supermatch. This speed was in warmer weather. As soon as I can get back to the range, I'll give you some cold weather speeds and see how much they have changed.