7mm-08 and Coyotes

idfishnhunt

I'm working on developing a load for coyotes for our 7/08's. I have some 120gn Vmax bullets that I will try out, but I'm also looking at Sierra or Spear. Does anyone have any experience with some custom loads. I know it's not the ideal caliber for actually salvaging the best fur off varmits or wolves. But I can't afford to buy a specialized rifle right now to minimize damage. Just curious if anyone has some good combo's out there that I could start out on as a base.

Thanks for your help.

I don't reload for that, but I'd simply make sure that you've got and accurate combination. Any bullet will work in that large of a caliber. I say accurate because the kill zone of yotes isn't that big (roughly 6"), so you've either got to get them in close or know that you can hit that small of an area at 300+. I've shot them w/ my 270win, 22-250, and even a 12ga. They'll quickly die with any of them.

Honestly , coyotes are not that tough and anything out of your 7-08 you hit them with anywhere in the body is going to kill them drt. Until you get sub 22cal a body hit coyote is dead and recoverable. I know someone is going to jump in with a story of a coyote that carried off a bullet from their 470 nitro but ...
And to the point , any light varmit bullet will work in a 7-08 and they are all going to make a mess of the hide. Kind of hard to keep that large and powerful of a cartridge from making big holes in that small and soft an animal. Build a load with what you have and don't worry about the holes as they are going to be big with any of the 7mm bullets.

You might want to try one of the Berger Target bullets. Maybe something like the 168 gr. VLD. They should be very accurate and the Target bullet has a thicker jacket than the Hunting bullet so it should go through a coyote like a solid. Bullet diameter in and out.

Plus any loading data you work up is transferable to big game hunting simply by switching to the Hunting VLD bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts