796 Yard white tail doe

Rtheurer

This will be my first post here at long Range Hunting. Looks like a freindly forum & I enjoy reading most of posts.
OK down to the story. North Dakota had there Deer Gun opener last weekend (3 NOV). We use the lottery system here in the arctic tundra but have an over abundance of deer the last few years with record amount of tags available every year. Of Course the Buck tags are gone during the initial drawing, but there has been Doe tags availble over the counter for most areas of the state. Well this is were the story starts. My Freind Travis who I have known since we were just little fellers, moved back to N.D. from Kansas & picked up a couple of doe tags for were we grew up. I still have land 5 miles from were his folks farm. Since I went to Wyoming this year & brought home a nice Mule Deer buck I passed on the North Dakota season but Travis wanted me to come down so he had some one to hunt with. I packed up my hunting gear & headed to the Ranch.
We got a late start on Saturday & never really saw any thing spectacular that wasnt running at Mach chicken speed so by the end of the day I took him up to the big hill we cal oole flat top. it over looks Hundreds of acres of Creek & collee bottoms just off the Hart river.
After glassing for about 5 - 15 Min Travis spotted two does on his side of the hill. Upon closer inspection with spotting scope it was a young buck & a doe bedded down on a small side hill out of the wind. We talked about it for a while discusing size & so forth. Finally he asked how far it was so I dug my Leica Range finder out of my pack & took some readings. 797 then 796 then 796 then 796. I told him that was a fer polk out there & he concured. I then went to the truck & grabbed my beloved 7mm Rem Mag Remington Sendero. I plopped it down on the bypods took a look at my Balistic chart on the side reached up put on the 800yard Dope (14.5 Min). I grabbed the wind meater to confirm my wind estimate, it read average of 9.5 mph & was coming at us at 10:00. I put on 2 Minutes of left windage & took a good prone position. I Asked Travis if he wanted to give it a try? He was intreiged, and got into a prone position behind the Sendero. I told him to lean into the bypod & sort of preload the legs. Then take his non firing hand & place it about were the rear sling swivel is & grip the rifle like a firm hand shake. He dry fired a few times & we worked on his breathing technique so that he found & new what the repratory pause was. After the last dry firing he looked at me & said that one would have been perfect if there would have been a round in the gun. I grabbed my spotting scope, laid it on my pack & spotted for him. He took three big breaths & on the last one let it out & squeezed the trigger. When the firing pin hit the primer it sent a 162 Grain A-Max out of the barrel at 2973 FPS. I watched the trace arc left and straight into the chest & the hide rippled as the bullet entered. She never twitched or kicked or nothing. Her head just laid over on the ground & she was dead as a door nail. Turns out it went straight to the hart!!!! Boy to talk about a celebration!!! there was high fives. hand shakes. back slapping. Smiles from ear to ear. And just alot of caring on. What a great Day for the both of us. We will never forget it. Travis took a perfectly executed shot. Im so proud of him.
Hope all hunters are successful in the feild. Good hunting.

Russ

Thanks for the post!! Very good read.

Kinda nice to post that and not have people call BS or tell you what a horrible unethical person you are,isn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif???

Go down to "General Discussion" ands look at topic #5 down.

There are several hosting sites. Photobucket or Imageshack give you a better pciture quality. Hunt 101 is a poor host site.

Russ,
Welcome to LRH! I got your e-mail with your write up and pic. and I'll have to say that's pretty awesome and congrats! Boy can that factory Sendero shoot. my hunting season hasn't been going the best meaning it's hard to shoot a deer if you don't even see any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well, I guess I have seen 5 bucks but I don't have a tag for them. The best I have done so far is a coyote at 218 yds.
It's good to hear you on LRH and I thought I would post that pic. for you.
Take care,
308nate

russ.jpg

coyote.jpg

Nate

Thanks for posting the pic for me. Hows that 6mm Rouge shooting for you?

Again thanks everyone for the kind words.

After shooting the steel plate @ a Mile 800 yards is easy!!! but the real joy in it was having my freind get behind the rifle & do something he never dreamed he could do. That as they say is priceless. Im going to shed a tear when that barrel lets loose.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.