721 yds

Great pictures and great shot.

This is why I always feel that we hunt "easier" in Africa. Vehicles can get close to most of the plains game and many are equipped to winch the animal onto the truck and most (not all granted) use skinners and butchers etc.

There are some places of course where access is harder in the mountains, but for the most I think we have it a lot easier.

oh and most times warmer weather than you do.

Thanks for that story.

Wim

Nice picture, good shoting and great country. I hunt north of the Gros Ventre every fall. Every fall I can draw a tag that is. An elk hanging in a tree makes for an interesting field dressing job.
My hunting partner had a moose fall in a big stump hole one year. The hole was deep enough that you couldn't see the moose in it. We had to lift it out piece by piece after field dressing. There wasn't enough room for both of us, the moose and a huge gut pile in the hole. We hade to make 3 trips to pack it all out on our backs. And I can tell you, being covered in blood and moose guts, I felt like bear bait the entire way.

Great moose country, we were spotting them daily. Got nose to nose with a couple good bulls, one was 48-50". Saw a cow with two calfs, which I understand to be kinda rare. No wolves, at least we didn't see or hear any. There were a few bear around. Had a rodeo one AM, this is about two hours before sun up, not a 100 yds from camp. Bear in the trail, guides horse came unglued. My horse tensed up a bit but handled it well. If a horse is questionable, the guides ride him, guys like me get the good horses. At times your ride is as exicting as the hunt itself.
BTW: My guide on this hunt was a 25 year old cowboy, we didn't walk anywhere unless we absolutely had to. Not my first horseback hunt, but we took those horses where you would never beleive ya could take a horse. Up and down slopes so steep ya can hardly stand there let alone ride a horse.
Another hunt, another guide comes to mind. "Des horses, he would start out, des horses, they don't know their left from their right. Des horses, they don't care which side ya get up and down from." So I was taught to mount and dismount from the up hill side, the left side myth was broken. Going up a brush covered slope, steeper than hell. I said, "hey Dan ain't you afraid were goona hurt des horses" (and maybe me). His reply, ya kinda had to be there, "Ya can't hurt des horses" and up through that crap we went. Coulda tied off and walked, only made about another 50 yds but he couldn't do that.
Anyhow; its 12 degrees, snowing and I gotta get ready for a dentist appointment.
So if reading all my gibberish didn't make your day, probably didn't hurt it any.

At my age; Hunt fast, brag every chance ya get!!
NRA Life Member.

[ QUOTE ]
POP,will you put that tsx woody away!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The reason I am so interested is that I have heard stories where they do not expand. Additionally I have a 30-378 WBY.

BEAR if you actually shot it at different ranges to obtain drops can you post the chart or e-mail it to me. Very interested to get the BC of the TSX since Barnes has reduced them to a more "realistic" -- according to them-- number. Thanx

POP
With 300 yd zero, I'm about 4" low at 400 yds. (14-1/4" clicks) 17.5" low at 500 yds. (28-1/4"clicks) 42" low at 618 yds. The clicks are 1/4" on my Zeiss Conquest.
Let me know what you come up with.

Assuming a MV of 3425 fps and a 300 yard zero, I had to adjust the BC to .650 to get a 500 yard drop of 17.7".

Wow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Heay bearless... Do you know the best place to shoot an elk?

Near the road... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I worked for an outfitter in Woodland Park CO for a couple of seasons and we "extracted" elk from some pretty impossible places. Steady, mountain bred, strong, and surefooted horses are worth their weight in gold. We even had a couple that seemed to have absolutely no fear of bloody meat.

I was amazed at how many hunters swore up and down that they hit the elk in the lungs but when we finally got the horses to them many of them were gut shot and often had to be finished off.

I saw a LOT of elk that had been shot with various caliber rifles and decided that 7mm should be the minimum caliber for elk and that the 270 was best left to expert shots for elk harvesting.

The guys that shot the 7mm mags, 300 mags, and 30-06 rifles rarely lost their elk if hit fairly well. The few that used 338's and 375's seemed to ANCHOR them where they were shot. Sure made our jobs easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also became a big fan of the Nosler Partition and never, even once, saw one fail but that was back in the 80's and there are a lot of new bullets now that are quite good.

I've never been a Barnes fan because I've seen too many failures and heard to many bad reports of not opening when it mattered. I also could never get used to all the copper fouling.

I'm eager to try some AccuBond's on elk next fall.

Thanks for the story and pic. I hope I'm as successful the next time I get into elk country.

$bob$

Those are my numbers. Didn't think the BC would be that high. This elk is the my longest shot taken to date. Would like to extend my effective range to 800 yds with the equipement I have, the two Sakos--30-378 & 338 Lapua. I don't forsee any problems with the Barnes TSX expanding at that distance. Been using them in a 6mm Rem, 300 Wby, 30-378 Wby, 375 H&H, and now the Lapua. Plus I load another 8-10 different cartridges for my customers and friends. Don't beleive I've had a rifle here that wouldn't shoot them. Last fall, I took elk from 35 yds to over 500 yds, no problem with the Barnes. If I continue to read this forum, I'll probably have to order an Allen mag or the like, then I'll worry bout expansion.
BTW. Have a post in handloading--Lapua Brass-- if you get a minute would like your opinion.

Bob
Road was about 20 miles away.
This was my second horeback hunt, both with the same outfitter. We filled our tags, but I feel the horses made the hunt. Nothing quite like that ride out of camp before sun up, starlit sky, sparks comming off the horses shoes.
All the stock I came in contact with were very tolerent of our game. Exception, my guides horse, he wasn't tolerent of anything. We brought out my mulie on my saddle without a problem. Hair down and without a mess.
I understand it took Barnes awhile to sort out their X-bullet. My experience is with the TSX. Never experienced a failure or the fouling you mentioned. Maybe they're worth a second chance.
Heard nothing but good things about the NA, but in my 30-378 the Barnes out shoot them.

At my age; Hunt fast,brag every chance ya get.
NRA Life Member.
My ride; Dollar.
Wyoming0512.jpg

bearless,

Sounds like you had a great hunt. I'm also gettin' a little long in the tooth. I don't imagine I'd be nearly as willing to strike out on foot for an all day walk hoping to get the chance to shoot an elk as I used to be.

I hope my next elk trip will be on horses. Hopefully it's my turn to have all the fun and let someone else do all the work.

20 miles from a road? UGH... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That's a tough hunt in ANYBODY'S book!

I haven't tried the TSX bullets yet. I just can't seem to find a reason to give up my Noslers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

btw... Nice photos... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

$bob$

[ QUOTE ]
When an elk falls fifteen miles from the nearest road, those horses are gold!

[/ QUOTE ]

If an elk falls 15 miles from the road, does anybody hear it? Dang sure not me unless something other than my feet got me that far from the road! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sambo
Might shoot your bull close to the road, but there's nothing
like being up on the mountain at first lite. Hopefully away from other hunters.
Although on this hunt we were abit crowded.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.