700 sps or model 10 fp?

oberg

I am looking for a cheaper long range gun. I've decided to go with the .308 due to the cheaper guns more selection and the whitetail don't need anything bigger. At a local store here there is a Remington 700 SPS for 550 bucks and a Savage Model 10 FP for 500... Which of these two would better shoot me? I didn't like the stock on either, the Savage's was a bit better but the remington has more aftermarket. Remington had the new trigger and the Savage has the Accutrigger. I was thinking on basing my decision on how long the magizines are as then I can load bullets farther out and closer to the lands need be. What do you all think?

I just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling it's a great tactical rifle the twist is 1 in 12 and i just like it for long range shooting.

go to
remington 700 SPS Varmintgun)

Since you don't like either stock, and might change down the road, the stock is a wash. I assume for the price that neither are stainless.
Savages are nice to change barrels on easily, but I have yet to do that on a rifle , so don't know how big a plus that would be to you. With the floating boltface of the Savage there is no lugs to lap. But having said all that, I am a Remington fan. Get the Rem.SPS

From what I've read about those rifles they both shoot great out of the box, but the savage seems to shoot a little bit more accurately than the remingtons. In either case you couldn't go wrong.

:Dthe thing is i am a tactical nut and i like it when you could creat a varmint rifle and trun it into a tactical rifle gun)

With either rifle there is enough aftermarket support to modify either rifle into whatever you'd like. Remington will have the edge in aftermarket support.

I would go with the remington. Savage has come a long way and probably shoots just as well, in the end know matter how well the savage shoots it's still a ''savage'' that's the way it's viewed were i'm from:)

Here is another well written review on the topic you are asking about:

remington 700 SPS Varmint

Pay special attention to the second to last paragraph on the page because it talks about the accuracy comparison of a savage vs remington.

There are a lot of remmy sps tactical and other configurations on gun broker .com.
Got my sps in 2 weeks from the time of oredering. There are tons of these rifles avaiable there for 500-600 dollar range,

+1 for the savage 10fp - I have one in .308

YMMV but a 175gn Nosler Custom Competition loaded to touch the lands measures 2.826 OAL and fits the magazine just fine in my gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.