700 Long Range 7mm recoil

dc1986

For those who have this rifle or anyone who has shot one,what is the recoil like and is a break needed.I will be shooting 154 or 162 sst or 162 ELD-X if I can find them and they group well.

I have one in 300rum and I find the recoil less than many 7rem and 300win sporter rifles... I would not brake the rifle unless you have a serious recoil aversion...

Like Lefty said, unless you're not able to handle recoil well, I would not brake it.

A heavy-barreled 7mmRM weighing around 10-12 lbs scoped, is very manageable. But that can also be a matter of opinion.

A factory 700 in 7mm is very manageable with 162 grain bullets. I used to have one and my girlfriend at the time wouldn't hesitate to shoot it, she got a nice buck with it too.
I wish I still had it, the 7mm is one of the best all around long range calibers

Thanks for the replies.I was hoping that it would be manageable.I really don't want to put a break on it.Thanks again.

i havnt shot the 700 long range but have shot 4 different 7mm and they were all manageable with out a break. the one rifle was a winchester feather light i loaded up 162grn amax ammo for it and it shot very well with not much more recoil than my 30-06

Mr Kleingunther put a break on my first custom built rifle back in the late 70s....a 300 Weatherby.....and it spoiled me! Since then I've had 4 shoulder surgeries and a broken back and I appreciate a muzzle brake more now but at that time, I was young and "rough and tumble" and didn't need one, but to me a brake just makes any rifle with significant recoil so much more enjoyable and easier to shoot! I have them on all my hunting rifles with the exception of the milder calibers and heavy barreled rifles.....I have brakes on 300 Wby, 264 Win Mag, both my 280 Remingtons, 7 mag, and one is going on the 26 Nosler currently being built.....yes, the 7 mag recoil is manageable, but for me the question is not whether I should put on a brake, but why wouldn't I?? Just my $.02....

Mr Kleingunther put a break on my first custom built rifle back in the late 70s....a 300 Weatherby.....and it spoiled me! Since then I've had 4 shoulder surgeries and a broken back and I appreciate a muzzle brake more now but at that time, I was young and "rough and tumble" and didn't need one, but to me a brake just makes any rifle with significant recoil so much more enjoyable and easier to shoot! I have them on all my hunting rifles with the exception of the milder calibers and heavy barreled rifles.....I have brakes on 300 Wby, 264 Win Mag, both my 280 Remingtons, 7 mag, and one is going on the 26 Nosler currently being built.....yes, the 7 mag recoil is manageable, but for me the question is not whether I should put on a brake, but why wouldn't I?? Just my $.02....

The major downfall of the breaks I have been around is the noise...I don't usually wear hearing protection when I am deer hunting.

The major downfall of the breaks I have been around is the noise...I don't usually wear hearing protection when I am deer hunting.

I understand, as I don't either unless I'm culling does or management bucks and have time to put on ear protection! But a few shots a year without the protection doesn't bother me nearly as much as long shooting sessions without a brake!! My left ear rings all the time anyway from shooting so much without protection when I was young.... we were too "young and dumb" to know we were damaging our ears! I probably averaged 15-20 shots per week shooting varmints and coyotes out of the truck on the ranch for 30 years before I ever had any ear protection! It's no trade off for me! I enjoy shooting too much and my shoulders are a wreck......as I'm writing this, I'm recovering from a complete shoulder replacement 2 weeks ago! Love my Muzzle Brakes, but it's a personal issue....I know more people that don't like them than do....."different strokes for different folks"!

I agree with stx. For 30+ years, I shot my magnums without muzzle brakes. It was not 'til 2003 when I discovered their benefits with Holland's QD brake.

I'm not recoil sensitive but I believe in "give your shoulder a break with a muzzle brake". :D It makes the shooting experience much more pleasing and enjoyable. Today, most of my rifles, including my AR, sports a muzzle brake ... and pretty soon with suppressors.

There are plenty of very good muzzle brakes on the market; they not only reduce the recoil but also reduce the muzzle jump ... being able to spot your target on impact is priceless ... not to mention a quicker target re-acquisition, should a follow-up shot is required.

Increased noise and side discharge/blast are the downfall but can be easily remeded with minor adjustments. End-users need to decipher benefits vs downfall for their intended purpose.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.