700 LA build-up order ? (What to do first)

VCIRIVELLO

I bought a 1971 (I called Remington) 700 ADL in .270 win about 5 years ago. This was my first centerfire and I had no idea what a .270 was. I had a gift certificate to cover 80% of it and figured it was a little bigger than a .223. (Please laugh. I still do) Anyway, I dropped a one piece base with a Redfield 4-14x and zeroed it. By that time I realized what I had bought and was prepared for the recoil. It groups pretty well for being a new-to-me rifle. I have shot it sporadically since; maybe 120 round.

In the meantime, I started delving into the ballistics of the 270. I had pretty much written it off as a 400 yd system. I just recently discovered that Serria makes a matchking and Berger makes a VLD. Having no other setup to go further than 300-400 in the safe, I decided to build with what i already have. Exit Redfield and flat base. Enter Vortex Viper FFP and a 20 moa base.

With all of that out of the way, is putting an aftermarket bedding block on the original stock worth it? Should I look at an aftermarket stock with a BDL cut and bedding block better? How much should I even do before I get the action trued? The barrel is a factory sporter. It still has VERY nice rifling.

Thanks in advance
-V-

What kind of groups are you currently getting with the system?

Have you replaced the trigger yet? That would be a good next step.

What kind of stock is on it now? It may be better to get a different stock

The last time I put it on paper at 100, I was getting 3 shots in 1".

Trigger I believe is stock but I am happy with it.

Stock is original walnut. I just rechecked the barrel float. I have a high spot by the front swivel stud.

I've never felt a stock Remington trigger that felt good. Maybe the previous owner had it worked on? What is the pull weight on it?

1" at 100 yds sounds pretty darn good for a factory rifle.

Since it is a walnut stock, you might consider pillar bedding it with the Score High system. I used this on an old Rem 700 ADL and it turned out really good.
Score High Gunsmithing, Muzzle brakes,Cerakote, Bedding Epoxy and Pillar Bedding kits

What kind of groups are you currently getting with the system?

Have you replaced the trigger yet? That would be a good next step.

What kind of stock is on it now? It may be better to get a different stock

If it's a 1971, that's an old Walker trigger...It just needs tuning. It doesn't necessarily need replacing.

VCIRIVELLO,

The stock is fine except that it isn't available in the 'sporter' barrel contour.

You will also need the BDL bottom metal for this model.

All bedding blocks need skim bedding at least. None fit Remington actions exactly and stress-free.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.