7 wsm vs 7 SAUM vs 7 ss

The 180 ELD has a super long bearing surface, like the Berger 210 VLD's do. The Berger 215's are actually able to be pushed faster than the 210's are. I bet you could push a Berger 180 Hybrid faster than your could the 180 ELD.

I might be able to. But that still doesn't mean the WSM can't push the same bullet faster then an SS or SAUM.

If you want something different, are using it in a short action, etc then the SS is hard to beat. If you want max performance in a 7mm out of a smedium action the wsm is going to outperform the ss or saum. I dn't think Rich designed the ss to compete in a smedium action. I think it was designed for a short action.

I might be able to. But that still doesn't mean the WSM can't push the same bullet faster then an SS or SAUM.

If you want something different, are using it in a short action, etc then the SS is hard to beat. If you want max performance in a 7mm out of a smedium action the wsm is going to outperform the ss or saum. I dn't think Rich designed the ss to compete in a smedium action. I think it was designed for a short action.
You are correct! The SS was designed to be the best performer in a true short action, and there's no doubt that it is. That's not just based on what I say, but is the consensus of most who have experience with them.
There is a very well respected gunsmith/forum member who has tested the SS against the Saum side by side using the same brass and has stated that the SS is "considerably better"! Will it keep up with a 7wsm? If both are in there standard configuration, yes it will. If you do everything you can to throat them out and run them in a longer action, the WSM wins, but not by that much. It is widely accepted that the WSM has about 50' advantage over the Saum. There are other reasons to build an SS besides sheer velocity. The case design is superior to any of the others. It has less body taper, shorter burn column, a longer neck, and a sharper shoulder. The brass lasts longer at equal pressure, and it takes considerably less charge to keep up with the WSM.
That said, there are reasons to build the Saum or wsm too. It really boils down to what way you want to configure your build, and how important efficiency is to you. Factory ammo favors the WSM and Saum as well as a little savings in dies, etc.
Even though the SS was designed around the short action, that doesn't mean you can't get even more out of it with a 3.1" or more set up with throating. There are more people starting to do that as well.

Honestly if you want the best performance in the Seekins action the WSM is king. The SAUM is an amasing cartrige in 7mm and throated has an advantage over the SS. The only reason to go with the SS is if you want a wildcat. There are more costs associated with the SS as its custom and with the other 2 you can get factory ammo in a pinch.
If they are all loaded with the same powder primers and projectile the SS and SAUM will have similar velocity and the WSM will have 50-80fps advantage.
The SAUM will be the best in regards to feeding as it only has a 30°shoulder as aposed to the steeper shoulders on the other 2. Also the SAUM case has better taper for extraction and feeding.

All up to YOU but the WSM will get the velocity easier without pushing massive pressures with double based powders.

Last edited:
Not sure where you get an advantage with a saum over the SS as no one else can but I would concede that a throated wsm may have a slight advantage single feed or on a long action!
The SAUM has an advantage feeding and is a factory cartrige if you read my post i said ballisticaly in his action the SAUM and SS will be similar.

The SAUM has an advantage feeding and is a factory cartrige if you read my post i said ballisticaly in his action the SAUM and SS will be similar.
What I read was " the Saum is an amazing cartridge and throated has an advantage over the SS" and " you said " loaded with the same powders, pressure yada yada, they are similar and the 7 wsm is more!
I don't recall selling you one, but if I did, my apologies for your data!

What I read was " the Saum is an amazing cartridge and throated has an advantage over the SS" and " you said " loaded with the same powders, pressure yada yada, they are similar and the 7 wsm is more!
I don't recall selling you one, but if I did, my apologies for your data!
Ok so we need facts do we?
I have no vested interest in this build however you do so lets get some facts on the table.
I have shot out over 10 7mm SAUM barrels and a WSM barrel and know one of your customers with a 7mm SSM.
As for barrel life a 30 or 40 degree shoulder makes almost no difference in performance or barrel life. We have built and shot exact rifles the only difference was the 6mm Dasher Vs 6mm BRX one has 40 and the other 30 degree shoulder same performance on both same barrel life.
Next neck length Rich you remember when SAUM brass was unobtanium and people were resizing WSM brass shooting it in F Class with a longer neck? Of course you do. Well i can tell you that there was no barrel life difference between either there is a lot more varience in barrel life by the way you shoot like shooting it hot and what powder you use. If say you used VV N165 its fairly cold and gives good veocities compared to say RE17 that torches throats at max pressure especially in string firing.
Your cartrige had a neich that is it works realy well when trying to fit say a 180gr VLD into a short mag and still fit it in a 2.820" loaded length.
When loaded long im sorry it has no advantage over the 7mm SAUM.
Now if comparing the SAUM and SS ballistics in a long throated barrel these will be almost identical with the same loads compare that to a 7mm WSM that is getting on the large size for a Short Mag the WSM will give higher velocities than the other 2 but will use more powder. If you load the WSM with a cooler burning powder and load to the slower SAUM / SSM velocity you will get better brass life and similar barrel life. There is a reason most using a 7mm on a WSM case use the 7mm 300WSM it is because the 7mm WSM has to much capacity for long strings of fire for the slight performance gain and the nodes that target shooters are using.

As stated also any short mag with a 35° or higher shoulder angle is a look so harder to get to feed reliably however longer mags and some work can help solve these issues. The WSSM and WSMs are notorious for this in true short action double stack mags.

So to answer the ops question
A 7mm WSM would give him 3000fps with 180s in his situation i would see how they feed from the magazine. If the WSM case is not feeding easily id go with the 7mm SAUM as its a factory cartrige he can throat the rifle to take advantage of the mag length and gain performance. This means cheeper dies and potential of factory ammo if he needed to use it.

Lets cover brass well now you can get all 3 from reputable manufacturers so there isnt an issue however SAUM is going to be available from more sources than the SSM or the 7mm WSM.

So if I wanted to use a 700 in 223 and put a 7mm would you recommend a 7wsm or 7saum? I do not reload and looking at putting a proof barrel on this action.

If you wanted to open the bolt and fit a Sako extractor it can work. The next thing is what mag. If a standard length mag definatly the SAUM however you will need the feed lips and ramp opened to suit the short mag case. As you will need machining i would get a Wyatts extended mag box fitted. Then you can have it throated out. The saum has a 30 degree shoulder so should be easier to get to feed.

Personally id look at selling the 223 action and buy a sps in a short mag and fit a new barrel and wyatts mag to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.