7 mag vs 7x64

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Valhalla, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Greetings from Scandinavia, Denmark!
    - and thanks for an interesting and educating site.

I´m thinking of buying a 7 mag or 7x64(preferably the last mentionned). Could anybody please enlighten me: what´s the practical difference between the two?(it´s mainly going to be used for deer and wild boar).

Thanks and greetings from Flemming, Denmark

2. scirroco

scirroco Active Member

hi valhalla
    7x64 great round,good mag capacity,no belted cases
    vhitavouri manual has listed load for 160 g nos partition at 2900fps, not far behind the rem mag, ive been shooting mine for 3 years now truly excellent round i run a swift scirroco 150g at 2950 fps kills very efficiantly!
    scirroco

3. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Hi Scirrocco,
    and thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    When getting my 7x64 next week I´ll try the load you mentioned. Could you spare the time telling me what´s the recoil like in the 7x64(some years ago I used to shoot the "7 mag" having no problems with the recoil)?

Again: thanks for your time and effort.

Flemming

4. scirroco

scirroco Active Member

hi valhalla
    recoil can be sharpish ,though not quite as bad as a 7 mag.
    the load i use is ,,rws cases ,58 grains vit n160,fed 210m primers, i just seat my bullets level with the bottom of the case neck, my rifle is freebored which i think is standard with 7x64 my rifle is a sako very accurate.
    what rifle are you buying?
    i shoot a lot of fallow deer ,roe deer ,muntjac and use it for boar also would not change it .
    if i can help you any more pm me
    regards scirroco

5. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Greetings again, Scirocco!
    Once again: thank you.
    I´ll be changing only the barrel, since I own a Sauer 200(changing barrel is very easily done). My second caliber(barrel) is 30.06 - also a superb caliber, but a little too big for roe deer, which by the way is the typical deer I hunt.
    In a two week´s time I´m going to Sweden for the opening season to shoot roe buck(well at least I hope so!) with my new and before metioned caliber - 7x64.

What, where and when will you be hunting?

Kind regards
    Flemming

6. scirroco

scirroco Active Member

hi valhalla
    i control deer fulltime,fallow,roe muntjac,
    saur are very nice rifles,
    i wish you waidmannsheil for your upcoming roe buck hunt
    send me a private e mail so as not to tie this thread up
    scirroco

7. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Hi again, Scirroco,
    have been trying to email you personally, but somehow I can´t get your maillink to work. Don´t know why.
    Kind regards Valhalla

8. scirroco

scirroco Active Member

9. älg

älg Well-Known Member

valhalla, whereabouts in sweden are you going to ?

10. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Hi Alg,
    nice hearing from a fellow neighbour. I´m going to a place in the southern part of Sweden, very next to Bolmsöen(Bolm Lake). I have had this contact for about 3 years, but have yet to shoot my buck. Hopefully this year will bring some luck. Where and what do you hunt?
    Kind regards
    Valhalla

11. älg

älg Well-Known Member

well , I am not such a close neighbour.. just a couple thousand km south, but I visit Sverige almost every summer and try to make it during the roebuck opening and try to do some outings.. I am usually in the Stockholm area, hunting north of Stock. near Gävle.

I´ll see if I can make it this month. Good luck with the bucks, just be patient and remember..move really slow when you prepare your rifle , preferably when the target is grazing head down...the bucks are really suspicious up there

12. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Hej Alg
    Thanks for the good advice, and good luck to you too!
    Kind regards Valhalla