7 WSM horsepower

Ksmirk

Do you folks think the 7 WSM has the horsepower to push a 200gr. Wildcat bullet out to 1500 - 1700 yards? if so would the 1-9 twist stabilize this bullet? this would not be used on game. Just some question before the reamer meets barrel. Later,

Kirk

Kirk,

I made an educated guesse at a mv of 26-2700 fps. I then ran the numbers at a 4500' altitude. The program put energy at 950 and velocity at 1400 fps at the 1500 yard mark. Still plenty to get the job done.

I was looking at this combo in january. I opted to go with the 7mm Dakota. This pushed mv up 2-300 fps. This gives on game performance out to 2k! The Dakota is basically the same case as the wsm, only 1/4" longer.

I believe my gunsmith recommended a 1 in 8.5 " twist. Might need an 8 twist for the slower mv.

good luck!

Well thanks for the info! this rifle will be built so I can get a better handle on the longer range shooting, I have my 308 and 243 that I can get out to 1K and the 243 with the 107SMK's should get me past 1K but I've been shooting out to 1K for a few years and I figure the 7WSM will get me out to the 1760 mark and get me comfortable shooting these ranges before I step up to the Edge to really get out there. I'm building this on a Savage/Stevens long action so when I get proficent at the ranges I can screw on a Edge barrel. I'm pretty sure on the 180 Berger bullets but hey any help with BC could not hurt so I thought I might ask. I was considering a 1-8.5 twist barrel for the 180's I would not think that would spin them up too fast but hey I'm not a barrel maker just an end user. Later,

Kirk

I think the 7wsm will be a great choice. Neat cartridge. And damnded efficient. The gunsmith recommended a 9 twist when we were talking 7wsm and 180 bergers. I believe you could set up to shoot the 200 wildcats or the 180 bergers.

Speaking of the 243, I sure like mine. I believe it's my most accurate rifle. Seems to perform beyond my expectations every time...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.