7 STW

albertaboy

I have a re-barelled 7stw would like your loads for 160gr flat base tsx. Or best bullets & powders to start my loading.
Thanks for you help.
New all around rifle.

I had mt best luck with H1000 & Retumbo when using the 160gr bullets in my 7STW. However, I haven't tried the 160 Barnes bullets yet. The X bullets are a horse of a different color.

In general, I have found that the X bullets prefer powders that are not the slowest burning within the list of appropiate powders for any particular cartridge and bullet weight. Just my observation.

My experience with X bullets is that the critical item is relief off the lands. You cannot seat cloeser than .030, and some guns shoot better at .100 plus. The varying seating depth also causes a variance in pressure. Find the sweet spot and adjust the powder volume to the best deviation. Powder burning rate is not so critical, but slower powders can spike if you are too close to the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.