This was the ladder I ran on them with no pressure. Every barrel is different. And what's really gonna blow your mind then if the velocity does is that it shoots under 1/2" at 300 yards. Multiple .1 moa groups. Verified the drops out to 550 yards at 6.9 moa.

View attachment 397872
I'm struggling to wrap my eyeballs around this level of speed. I'm getting around 3250 with 140g absolute hammers and RL16. My action isn't the stoutest and it's got a barrel nut instead of shoulders, and I know every barrel is different, but my god. Is RL 26 really that magical in the SAUM? Or am I missing something? DO you shoot conventionals in any of the SAUMs, are you getting bananas speed out of that?

I hope I'm not hijacking, I'll add my data later.

I'm struggling to wrap my eyeballs around this level of speed. I'm getting around 3250 with 140g absolute hammers and RL16. My action isn't the stoutest and it's got a barrel nut instead of shoulders, and I know every barrel is different, but my god. Is RL 26 really that magical in the SAUM? Or am I missing something? DO you shoot conventionals in any of the SAUMs, are you getting bananas speed out of that?

I hope I'm not hijacking, I'll add my data later.
60D99384-3E35-4729-A958-14FF6879FF20.jpeg

This is the work up I did and recorded. First you see me skipping grain charges and jumping ahead because I knew I was ways away from pressure. Second I never hit pressure. I stopped cause I didn't think I would hit that mark. Third I backed down .5 grains from where I stopped and shot groups and ES SD. I do remember it was single digit ES. The barrel at this time had around 60 to 70 rounds. Now it's on around 200 and has speed up. 4th note you don't see is that data was not crimped. I added a 1/8 crimp to the load. So I'm not sure if the crimp added that little extra speed or the barrel sped up.

I understand you can't wrap your head around the idea but it happened and it continues to happen. I can pull that rifle out of the safe set it on the bench 20 yards away and shoot 300 yards and if I do my job it will be under a 1/2" at that that distance. My drops at 300 yards was 1.6 moa, 550 yards is 6.9 moa. So the drops confirmed my velocity also along with the LabRadar.

View attachment 397923

This is the work up I did and recorded. First you see me skipping grain charges and jumping ahead because I knew I was ways away from pressure. Second I never hit pressure. I stopped cause I didn't think I would hit that mark. Third I backed down .5 grains from where I stopped and shot groups and ES SD. I do remember it was single digit ES. The barrel at this time had around 60 to 70 rounds. Now it's on around 200 and has speed up. 4th note you don't see is that data was not crimped. I added a 1/8 crimp to the load. So I'm not sure if the crimp added that little extra speed or the barrel sped up.

I understand you can't wrap your head around the idea but it happened and it continues to happen. I can pull that rifle out of the safe set it on the bench 20 yards away and shoot 300 yards and if I do my job it will be under a 1/2" at that that distance. My drops at 300 yards was 1.6 moa, 550 yards is 6.9 moa. So the drops confirmed my velocity also along with the LabRadar.
Oh I definitely believe you, just jealous. What action, brass and primer? That's great. Those are big jumps, which tells me you knew the combo was a screamer ahead of time, that's I was hoping for similar results with the AH but it didn't happen. Thick ol brass, thin action (savage small shank). Accuracy is outstanding as you say, but start of pressure was 61.5g RL16. 3240 fps in 24" barrel.

To the OP, I know I'm not using the combo you asked for but I feel like the comparison might be helpful given the lack of SAUM data in the universe. Also using the 140AH might give you more options since it likes much more common powder thatn RL26, that's one major reason I went with it.

I did find that the crimp has a measurable, predictable uptick in the velocity. I'll look it up later but I tried 0, 1/8, and 1/4 turn crimps when I was and it was almost the exact same spread all the way up. 1/4 turn was almost exactly equal to .5g powder. I bet the ratio is different with the full-diameter hammers but I bet it is still pretty distinct.

Recipe is:
ADG brass New
F210M
RL26 67.0 grains
Ogive 2.183" = .106" off lands. I was crimped in first band from tip.

AntiX action and 8.4 twist Proof prefit barrel.

Try RL26 reason I say is cause I had a 6.5 max and shot 123 absolutes in same method 69.5 grains at 3,510 fps avg. it was 100' faster than any other powder. I'm gonna bet you see majic.

Recipe is:
ADG brass New
F210M
RL26 67.0 grains
Ogive 2.183" = .106" off lands. I was crimped in first band from tip.

AntiX action and 8.4 twist Proof prefit barrel.

Try RL26 reason I say is cause I had a 6.5 max and shot 123 absolutes in same method 69.5 grains at 3,510 fps avg. it was 100' faster than any other powder. I'm gonna bet you see majic.
Well I'm sold then. The magic will be if I can find it in real life. MY ES is not very good and I was about to blame the f210m, but that's obviously not the case.

General note, I did try seating at the second band and I gained a grain of powder but only about 50 fps, not worth the introduction of variables.

LOL if I put my rifle AND all my powder on a scale it wouldn't it wouldn't break 17 pounds, I'd have to add the press. I guess one of us has been at it longer.

Recent Posts