7 Saum or 7 Blaser magnum

Camo wsm

Hey Guys,

Just putting some thought into my next build and these two are on the shortlist, currently running a 22 inch Saum built on a lone peak titanium but want to build something a touch heavier and with a 24 inch barrel, the rifle will be suppressed as here in New Zealand they are freely available.

I have seen some pretty impressive results from Alex wheelers thread on his 7 Saum but not too much info on the 7 Blaser mag, the goal is to send a 180 eld m or Berger at 3000 fps, I have had a 7 lrm that did just this but I couldn't deal with the hornady brass.... I know there is the 28 nosler but wanted to avoid going this large, and belted cases don't do it for me so no rem mag.

So really looking for some firsthand experience in regards to this, my current Saum is pushing 168 bergers at 2940 fps.

Thanks Cam,

Have you looked into the 7 Sherman shortmag?

Not sure if he could ship you his preformed brass over there, but the prep doesn't seem to be too bad.

I have been watching it and with head stamped brass it is a consideration but the ease of just having ready to go brass with no fireforming is probably a deal breaker for me

There are a few threads in the 7mm blaser. Looks like 180 Bergers and eld-m seated properly will be around 3.34-3.35 oal. Guys are getting 3050 with the 180s running RL26, I think N570, Retumbo and 8133 would be good to try as well with the heavy bullets. Case capacity is about 82gr. I spoke with the Gunwerks rep @ shot show, they're trying to get brass for the 7mm LRM through ADG(gunwerks headstamped) by summer.

I have been watching the 7 Blaser magnum thread but those are 26 inch barrels so an educated guess tells me maybe just on 3000 fps out of a 24?
I actually emailed ADG direct and the response I had about lrm brass was not really in their radar this year? It's a shame as my friend has my lrm now so have the reamer and dies here to make it happen, is this what you run @highdrum?

I'd go blaser, just cuz I like larger cases. The saum is very efficient however(I run a 6.5 saum). The 7 Blaser is basically a non belted 7 rem mag. Very similar capacity, I bet the blaser is more efficient, has a longer neck, better shoulder angle. Some guys have blown out the taper a bit and gone to 35-37° shoulders and bumped capacity to 86 gr and had good luck with em. If I was going to run a 24" barrel, go saum in a short action. 26" barrel, go blaser in an intermediate or long actin. Just my opinion(s) take em for what you will.

I run a LRM 26" tube. I don't have a can. If I cannot get a better option for brass by may or June, I'll be getting a new proof 1:8(already have) chambered in 28 nosler or 7 Blaser.

@highdrum I really like the LRM case design to me it's a winner but the same as yourself find the hornady brass hard work, what sort of performance are you getting out of the 26 inch barrel? A few of my friends are running the 28 nosler and one has 400 rounds down it now so will be interesting to see how long it lasts

I looked into the 28nosler looks like most ppl are getting 8-900 rounds out of it from what I found

@Canhunter35 I'm getting 3070 with 180 hybrid from the lrm. It's a great design hindered by junk brass. The 28 nosler loaded down to get your 3050-3100 with 180s would last a long time. Most the guys I've talked to say they last 1000-1200 half moa before accuracy fades with high psi loads, but you'll chase lands .01 every 100-150 rounds. The 28 will push a 180 over 3300fps max load from a 26" barrel. If 3050 is your goal, I'd go 7 Blaser 24" barrel, should be close to 3050 with a can.

I have a 28" 9 twist Saum shoots 180 ELDM @ 3070 with RL26 and is a full grain short of any pressure!!. A 8.5 twist doing over 3000 on a mild load with Rl26. With 26 the Saum will shoot with the bigger cases with less powder !!

@loonie how have you found the rl26 for temperature stability? I have some rl23 on hand to try in my short 22 inch saum, a 24 inch would possibly go 2900 maybe a touch more?

My 7mm blaser should be here Monday and hopefully my dies should be here in a few weeks. I am planning on loading up H1000 and rl26 with berger 175 and 195 EOL bullets. I can let you know what I find out when I get to it. 26" proof barrel on mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.