Tikka T-3 into a 7 wsm or 7 saum

pyroducksx3

I have a tikka t-3 lite in 300 wsm. I had originally wanted to built a custom gun off a predator or 700 action but cant now $$$. So I will be building up my tikka in steps now. Options for caliber are 7mm/300 wsm, 7mm wsm or 7mm SAUM. Will the bolt face of the 300 wsm work for the 7mm saum? If not than the choice is easy. I was looking at the 7mm/300 wsm over a standard 7mm wsm because of the availabilty of brass, I can use norma brass with less case prep and norma now offers brass for the 300 saum so the same case prep steps. I am leaning toward the 7mm SAUM provided the bolt face will work from my 300wsm. I will be rebarreling with a shilen barrel and replacing the factory reciol "bar" with a remington style recoil lug. Final step dropping it into a manners stock. Any input would be appreciated as to 7mm/300 wsm, vs 7mm wsm vs 7mm saum. Thank you.

The WSM bolthead works just fine for the SAUM case. I have done that very thing, 300 WSM into a 7mm SAUM.

However, if I had it to do over again I'd go with the 7 WSM, better brass availability and up to a couple hundred more fps.

Chris

I have a tikka t-3 lite in 300 wsm. I had originally wanted to built a custom gun off a predator or 700 action but cant now $$$. So I will be building up my tikka in steps now. Options for caliber are 7mm/300 wsm, 7mm wsm or 7mm SAUM. Will the bolt face of the 300 wsm work for the 7mm saum?

YES. I built a 7mm SAUM on a Browning SA Action originally in 270WSM. It shoots very well from a 26" barrel and I like it.

The 7 SAUM is a more efficient cartridge than a 7WSM in the same way as a 308 Win is a more efficient cartridge than a 30-06. Even so the 7 SAUM is a little slower by 30 to 50 fps.

Enjoy and good shooting

Sorry this is the link in meant 7mm Cartridge Guide and also I think giving up 30-50 fps is acceptable when using 7-10% less power. In reply to winmagman you can use the 300 saum brass now offered by norma and nolser and neck it down to the 7mm saum. Norma and Nosler both offer the 300 wsm and neck down to 7mm as well.

Last edited:
better bullet bc with the 7mm, so better ballistics with less recoil. I'm not totally sold on switching but the grass looks greener.

Last edited:
7 WSM is a capable round, sure...and so is the 300 WSM.

For punching holes in paper targets, the 7WSM has a slight BC edge, but it's not a recoil or barrel friendly round.

I like the 300 better as a hunting round.

If I had a 7WSM, I could like it too...pick one, but either way, I wouldn't be putting a lot of money into a Tikka to change from one to the other, there are a lot better things to throw money at, like the hungry, bottomless optics pit.

TC

Both will do the job but the grass is not greener. What are you seeing in good hunting bullets that you think is better. The 300 with better bullet choices and larger caliber is what I would hunt with.

I've narrowed my search down to the 7SAUM and the straight 284 Win. This due to higher efficiency in its design. I have heard (not necessarily the truth) that the 7WSM can be a little touchy to load for. The SAUM has a lesser following and has been dropped from the Remington line. Brass how ever is still available, soooo..... those are my two choices.

I am too curious as to why the dropping of the 300WSM. Using a 200+grn match bullet will get you to the ballistics of the 7mm's but just not the muzzle velocity. But the bullet will carry its velocity better with higher retained energy. Just a thought to cloud the thinking.

Tank

I was looking at building the gun up in steps. The recoil is bearable but I wanted to put a badger FTE removable brake on so I would enjoy shooting more. I may be able to put that brake on a factory barrel, but I have the t-3 lite with a slim barrel and it seems like a better idea to put on a custom barrel with a more appropriate contour, so then I thought if getting a new barrel why not choose the ideal cartridge. Also I found that when building off a tikka action it is recommended that the factory tikka "bar" recoil lug be replaced with a remington style reciol lug, which again needsa nwe barrel. So it just seemed that the 7mm in wsm , and especially in 7mm saum, would be great choices for the ballistics and in saving on the recoil. 162 gr a-max or other high BC 7mm over 62+ gr of powder vs 200+ gr bullet over 67+ gr of powder. I agree not a huge change but if a new barrel is inevitable then I just want to look at all the options. Thanks for all the different points of view and advice.

I was looking at building the gun up in steps. The recoil is bearable but I wanted to put a badger FTE removable brake on so I would enjoy shooting more. I may be able to put that brake on a factory barrel, but I have the t-3 lite with a slim barrel and it seems like a better idea to put on a custom barrel with a more appropriate contour, so then I thought if getting a new barrel why not choose the ideal cartridge. Also I found that when building off a tikka action it is recommended that the factory tikka "bar" recoil lug be replaced with a remington style reciol lug, which again needsa nwe barrel. So it just seemed that the 7mm in wsm , and especially in 7mm saum, would be great choices for the ballistics and in saving on the recoil. 162 gr a-max or other high BC 7mm over 62+ gr of powder vs 200+ gr bullet over 67+ gr of powder. I agree not a huge change but if a new barrel is inevitable then I just want to look at all the options. Thanks for all the different points of view and advice.

Can't argue with that! :cool: I say 7mm SAUM or 7mm-300WSM (longer neck for longer bullets). Using a good heavy match bullet, that thing will be awesome. Go for it!!! I want pictures when its done!:D

Tank

I'm really leaning toward the 7mm saum with a 26" shilen barrel, badger FTE removable muzzle break, and if manners will fit it a tatical mcs t-3 or t-2 stock in multicam, I know manners has the specific tikka stocks but I like the the t-3 and t-2 better. If anybody has done any built using the tikka t-3 action I would love to hear how they turned out as well. Thanks And I agree about the 7mm-300 wsm if for nothing else fewer case prep steps if using a quality brass like norma.

Last edited:
The 7mm short mag is an excellent cartridge. Don't get me wrong. Paul, at wildcat bullets has some excellent 7mm bullets that work very well in it. But you are not going to top the killing performance of the 300 wsm with it. The 200 grain accubond .588 at over 2900 fps vs a 162 grain 7mm bullet in the high 2900's. I know which one I'm elk hunting with. Or my load with the 150 grain etip .469 bc at near 3400 fps. Run the numbers on that vs your slower 7mm loads that would have equal bc. These are proven quality big game bullets and not target bullets. Now run the 177 GS bullet at .638 or so at near 3200 fps and see where it leaves your 7mm wsm in the dust. Again a quality hunting bullet. The short mag is not a 1000 yard hunting rifle in my opinion although with a well placed shot it is capable. The 300 wsm with the 177 GS bullet could work at that range in a pinch. Within the optimum range of the short mags I can't see a 7mm wsm being better at hunting, considering quality hunting bullets, than a 300 wsm. Either one will take animals very well I just don't see the need to change from what you have is my point. My 300 wsm is a tikka t3 light and it shoots extremely well with the 150 etip monometal bullet that will hold together and blow right through shoulders. Out to 700 yards is where I think the short mags are best suited and this load will take about anything in that range. If you want to shoot further get a bigger gun instead of trying to make a little gun work. The animals deserve it and I get so tired of wounded animals from people reading ballistic tables instead of gathering hunting experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts