7 Rem Mag powder question

Timber338

I am going to do some 7 RM reloading for a friend who has a nice Remington 700, and have never reloaded for this cartridge myself.

To save time in the reloading process I was wondering if I could get some advice on a powder that will give ~95% case capacity using a 160 grain Accubond. Also worked through the bullet seating issue and seating .025 off his lands puts the bullet about .030" longer than listed max length (his magazine box handles this no problem).

Goal is to come up with a good performing round without too much load development accurate enough for shots out to 400 yards... not looking to squeeze every last fps out of the reloads and do NOT want to compress the load.

Thanks for the help!

The load your looking for can be found right in the Nosler manual, save a lot of searching, give me another hour and i can post some up for you.
These are from the Nosler manual all loads using fed 215 primer

Most accurate powder most accurate charge Viht N165 61.0gr (book max load) Listed vel 2904fps

IMR 4350 most accurate charge 60.0gr (book max load) vel 2998

IMR4831 most accurate charge 63.0gr (book max load) vel 3008

RL19 most accurate charge 61.5gr (book max load) vel 3046

RL25 most accurate charge 68.0gr (middle of the list charge) vel 2989

Magpro most accurate charge 68.0gr (book listed min) vel 2930

Last edited:
I have had great results with IMR 7828 in 3 7 rem mags. But his gun may not like this. IMR 4831 is a great powder too.

rl22 or 7828. Usually you can get to top speed with 4350 or slower.

I've had a few 7mags, and they've all loved one or the other. My present 7mag is a m700 and with 150 noslers I'm using 7828, but with 140 sierras I'm using 4064, as it wouldn't group in cold weather with the 140 and 7828. When the 4064 loads are shot up, I'll switch to rl22 as it works too. I treat my 7mag as a can gun, so I won't pull ammo unless it won't shoot well. Speed matters little at 100 to 200 yards on paper.
I haven't seen a 7mag yet that will keep up with some of the book velocities with the powder charges shown, so don't be surprised if it is a bit slow with some combinations. I've gone to bigger 7mm's to hunt with partly because of this.

I am going to do some 7 RM reloading for a friend who has a nice Remington 700, and have never reloaded for this cartridge myself.

To save time in the reloading process I was wondering if I could get some advice on a powder that will give ~95% case capacity using a 160 grain Accubond. Also worked through the bullet seating issue and seating .025 off his lands puts the bullet about .030" longer than listed max length (his magazine box handles this no problem).

Goal is to come up with a good performing round without too much load development accurate enough for shots out to 400 yards... not looking to squeeze every last fps out of the reloads and do NOT want to compress the load.

Thanks for the help!
Use H1000. Start lower but you are probably going to end up using about 70 gr of it.

Look no further than H4831sc, I use 67.5grns under a 162 amax on the lands, 3.406" oal fed210m pmiers, federal brass. 3042fps avg 8-12fps ES 24" barrel, but since every rifle is different start around 64grns. Second choice has already been mentioned and is also a great choice and that's H1000 with cci250s at 69-72grns.

Look no further than H4831sc, I use 67.5grns under a 162 amax on the lands, 3.406" oal fed210m pmiers, federal brass. 3042fps avg 8-12fps ES 24" barrel, but since every rifle is different start around 64grns. Second choice has already been mentioned and is also a great choice and that's H1000 with cci250s at 69-72grns.

You do realize you just recommended a starting load that is a solid 4gr over book max for tha bullet powder combo in that cartridge.

No I did not I stated what I used, and then mentioned a starting point. He is an extra .030" out of the case, with that oal he has almost a full extra grain of usable capacity plus its not on the lands so no high pressure start, and max with that powder and mag primers is 64grns at 3.250". Don't tell me what I did, read a little closer. As I state in all my post this works for me, its up to the individual to do the smart and safe thing, and if your experienced you will. I can only make suggestions, I can not fix stupid!

Just went through this with my brother's 7mm. The gun is a simple Savage Model 10 that i floated the barrel and glass bedded. Working with 160g Accubonds and both H4831sc and RL22, I found my best groups near max with RL22. I don't have chrono data as mine just decided to crap out this weekend and plan to retest both of the best looking charges over the graph when it's back up and working, but overall, the RL22 looked much better than the H4831sc for me.

Blackdawg in some cases reloader powders show slightly more accuracy but if your near pressure at 60 degrees you will be a good bit over at 90 and about 70fps slower at 30. Your extreme spreads may be pretty high as well but the OP only mentioned 400yrds so that's almost irrelevant.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.