7 Rem Mag barrel length

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Looking for the optimum barrel length for 7 Rem Mag for 175g bullets. Would be a carry riffle, but more interested in performance gains per inch of barrel. Am thinking that 28" should be all that is needed but would like some other opinions.

Thanks,

Steve

I sure hope a few shooters chime in. Interesting how things pop up like this.

I am interested because my friend and I are putting together two rifles that will have 30" 7mm barrels. Mine will be a 7 Rem Mag and his will be a 7 STW.

Now for the puzzle. He talked to Dave Kiff about the reamer and some details. Dave said there is a high probability that the 30" barrels will suffer from excessive pressure issues with both the 7 Rem Mag and the 7 STW. He said that a 28" barrel will not have this possible issue. HUH?

I have read, on several occasions, that the factories keep the 7 Rem Mag pressures down a bit because the 7 Rem mag can be erratic. That makes the 7 STW and 7 RUM even more so. I have a 7 STW and had a 7 RUM but I moly coated the bullets. Never had an issue with either, though the barrels were 26".

We can only shoot them when they are completed and find out for ourselves. We could always convert to moly too.

I hope several members contribute to this question.

I am surprised that nobody has an opinion on optimal barrel length for the 7mag as well. I too hope that someone with experience will chime in. It may not be too late for you to change the length of your ordered barrel. I have not ordered mine yet.

Steve

It is too late to change the order. BUT it is not fluted so I can chop it off if there is an issue. Quite frankly I don't believe that 2 extra inches will create a pressure issue.

Instead of listening to your friend call Dave Kiff yourself and ask him. very nice and VERY knowledgeable.
UB

I have talked to Dave Kiff on several occasions. Yesterday my friend talked to Dave. Why should I call him? I have his reamer and we talked at length about the build when I ordered the reamer. This pressure thing came up yesterday in the course of my friend talking to him....I don't need a repeat of the topic. Besides Dave can be hard to reach.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.