7 PRC Build...your thoughts

Lots of 7-6.5 PRC out there guys are getting those speeds might not be in the accuracy node but it's do-able. Might be over pressure also. I'm sure no one running it has had it pressure tested

Unless Tikka builds their 6.5PRCs on a long action, the 7PRC isnt going to fit in your gun. The length of the 7PRC is somewhere more or less in between the 6.5 and 300 PRC, and the 6.5 is already on the long side for a true short action. I would confirm that before you start ordering any more parts.
You are absolutely right! Same action as the 300 PRC.

I'm sure you know this but Tikka's max out at 3.34" unless you use an aftermarket aics bottom metal. 3.34" is saami spec for 180's so no room to chase lands.
Yep. I put up a post about my experiences with this very subject earlier in this thread.

While the AICS mags give all the COAL you can use for all but the longest rounds, and they feed and function very well, for most of my hunting, I prefer to carry a rig with an OEM or MT Billit mag. As such, after having them configured a number of different ways, I think the WSM and SAUM based rounds are the sweet spot for Tikka builds on which you want a little more performance.

Last edited:
Ryan Furhman put out a good video on it. Ballistically the 7SAUM, 7PRC and 7RM are the sweet spot regarding case capacity and are all within 1-2 grains of each other (in his opinion). So it begs the question, what is so great about the 7PRC?

In my opinion nothing for the custom rifle builder. Run the 7SAUM on a medium length action, throat and twist it properly and it will *probably* be the most accurate of the 3 listed.

-or-

Run a 7Mag that has tons of brass, dies, etc…throat/twist it properly and it will outperform velocity wise the PRC.

For the guy that wants to buy a factory rifle and shoot factory ammo with heavy, high BC bullets, the PRC line offers a good bit for them.

Until the premium (ADG, Peterson, Lapua, Alpha) brass and die manufacturers catch up it's a fool's errand for a hand loader to go with the 7PRC.

Valid points.

I have a 21 inch custom 7 saum and I'm stomping on it pretty good with H1k and running 2800 from a 20 inch barrel which is more than respectable. Accuracy isn't quite where I'd like it at 600 yards but again it's respectable. There's another node at 2650 which I didn't develop which could be better. I feel like the prc could do that without running hard.

Based on the little data I've seen it looks like with 180 hybrids and H1k there's about 4-5 grains more capacity. In equal length barrels what does that mean, no idea but likely about 50 fps.

If I were building one today it would be a tough choice. The saum and rem mag are proven, with the rm out pacing both regarding brass and die availability. Although due to the Hornaday marketing machine I'm sure the big boys of brass will see there's a buck to be made here.

Ultimately, we're missing the true intent or target audience of the Hornaday machine. It's the guy who buys factory rifles and ammo but wants Accuracy and long range capability....imo.

Valid points.

I have a 21 inch custom 7 saum and I'm stomping on it pretty good with H1k and running 2800 from a 20 inch barrel which is more than respectable. Accuracy isn't quite where I'd like it at 600 yards but again it's respectable. There's another node at 2650 which I didn't develop which could be better. I feel like the prc could do that without running hard.

Based on the little data I've seen it looks like with 180 hybrids and H1k there's about 4-5 grains more capacity. In equal length barrels what does that mean, no idea but likely about 50 fps.

If I were building one today it would be a tough choice. The saum and rem mag are proven, with the rm out pacing both regarding brass and die availability. Although due to the Hornaday marketing machine I'm sure the big boys of brass will see there's a buck to be made here.

Ultimately, we're missing the true intent or target audience of the Hornaday machine. It's the guy who buys factory rifles and ammo but wants Accuracy and long range capability....imo.
You likely hit the nail on the head with your assessment of the target audience. And, having a factory available rifle throated and twisted for heavies that are factory loaded is quite a lot to a lot of people.

Along those lines, I wouldn't have minded if the 7mm PRC was basically a necked up 6.5 PRC. I realize that 7mm WSM and SAUM have been around a long time, but unlike those cartridges, you'd get it set up twisted and throated for 175-180 right out of the box.

Valid points.

Hornady brass will get the job done, it'd is NOT junk

You likely hit the nail on the head with your assessment of the target audience. And, having a factory available rifle throated and twisted for heavies that are factory loaded is quite a lot to a lot of people.

Along those lines, I wouldn't have minded if the 7mm PRC was basically a necked up 6.5 PRC. I realize that 7mm WSM and SAUM have been around a long time, but unlike those cartridges, you'd get it set up twisted and throated for 175-180 right out of the box.

I was hoping for the gunwerks 7 LRM rebranded by hornady myself. IMO it's the ideal size and design but never went main stream.

Btw-i need to quit playing with my phone as I'm getting ready to stuff some 7 saum to run out to 1k for drop validation... 😀

20221028_164802.jpg

This might be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. Would 6.5 PRC go/no go Gauges work with a 7 PRC?