7 Lapua Imp - Len

sewwhat89

What ever became of your reamer and gun plans? Links to some of your discussions are up on the 300 RUM Imp post, but I do not recall any updates on this project. It sounds very similar to Kirby's 7AM.

Last question for you Ken. With your experience, would you chamber a mag class 7mm with 7 RM, Dakota or Weatherby? I would rather not jump up to the RUM cases. Only use for the case would be the 160 AB - 180 Bergers.

I'll answer for Len here since I built the rifle:
Basically, the goals in performance were not obtained that Len was looking for and the project was scrapped and on to more productive things. It is similar to Kirby's 7 AM, but Len did not try surplus military powder like Kirby, he tried more conventional, readily available powders.
To answer your second question- a 7 WSM will handle the 160 class bullets with all the power needed and be far easier on the shoulder, barrel and pocket book than a Dakota, Wthby or RUM.

Thanks, that is the response I was hoping for after seeing the result's of Ric's rifle. That one is a shooter in anyone's book. I'll have to wait a couple years, but hopefully then I'll give you a call to go with it.

Stephen

Whoops, missed this one.

I agree with Chris but I would add that my own poor design of the reamer resulted in pressure problems. As a result I finally gave up without really knowing what a properly designed reamer could have accomplished in terms of velocity. As well, I no longer have an interest in owning a "thunder-boomer".

3,100 fps with a 176 grain, .750 BC deer-killing bullet is plenty for my hunting needs.

I am still using the 7mm Dakota (for the last 4 or 5 years) which has a case capacity similar to the 7 STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.