7 Lapua Imp - Len

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by sewwhat89, Oct 25, 2005.

1. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

What ever became of your reamer and gun plans? Links to some of your discussions are up on the 300 RUM Imp post, but I do not recall any updates on this project. It sounds very similar to Kirby's 7AM.

Last question for you Ken. With your experience, would you chamber a mag class 7mm with 7 RM, Dakota or Weatherby? I would rather not jump up to the RUM cases. Only use for the case would be the 160 AB - 180 Bergers.

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

I'll answer for Len here since I built the rifle:
    Basically, the goals in performance were not obtained that Len was looking for and the project was scrapped and on to more productive things. It is similar to Kirby's 7 AM, but Len did not try surplus military powder like Kirby, he tried more conventional, readily available powders.
    To answer your second question- a 7 WSM will handle the 160 class bullets with all the power needed and be far easier on the shoulder, barrel and pocket book than a Dakota, Wthby or RUM.

3. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Thanks, that is the response I was hoping for after seeing the result's of Ric's rifle. That one is a shooter in anyone's book. I'll have to wait a couple years, but hopefully then I'll give you a call to go with it.

Stephen

4. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Whoops, missed this one.

I agree with Chris but I would add that my own poor design of the reamer resulted in pressure problems. As a result I finally gave up without really knowing what a properly designed reamer could have accomplished in terms of velocity. As well, I no longer have an interest in owning a "thunder-boomer".

3,100 fps with a 176 grain, .750 BC deer-killing bullet is plenty for my hunting needs.

5. älg

älg Well-Known Member

len which caliber are you using then ??

6. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

I am still using the 7mm Dakota (for the last 4 or 5 years) which has a case capacity similar to the 7 STW.