7.62x39 powders:

HARPERC

What's everyone using? I've looked through the manuals, Googled, and used the LRH search bar with minimal results.

Rifle is a Ruger bolt gun, and the bullets are the Hammer 101 grain.

I hadn't intended to load this one, but it's grown on me, the kids like it, and the all copper Hammer's look like baby rattlesnakes.

Thoughts?

Reloading manuals are the place to look. Usually quoted are H335, AA1680, H4198, RL7.

While I have not yet loaded 7.62 x 39 from scratch, I have been doing a "Mexican Match" by pulling bullets on Golden Bear, dumping the powder then recharging it for a more consistent load, then seating a 123 gr TSX bullet. I am getting 1/2 moa with my Ruger 77 Compact and this combo is absolutely devastating on deer and pigs.

I am shooting 29 grs H322,yes it is a case full, in a Lapua case fired by a Rem. 9 1/2 primer and pushing a 123 gr Hornady .310 diameter SP bullet. I have been shooting it in a Yugo SKS and it is a tack driver. One thing that I have learned about loading the 7.62x39 is the neck is really short and the shank of the bullet is really short plus it takes a case full of powder with most any powder. The Lee Factory Crimp Die is indispensable when it comes to getting a good tight bullet fit in the neck of the case. Good luck and good shooting.

Thanks for the crimp tip. Currently have a coffee can of Hornady brass. I did see the Lapua brass is available.

I made the rounds with a list of powders, and availability of some powders you guys recommended wasn't all that good.

I did manage to acquire dies, shell holders for the press, and the auto prime.

I've got 2400, 5744, and some W-748 on the bench already. Decided to start there.

Thanks!

I think we may have talked about this before in another thread...But it would be a perfect candidate to build a heavy barreled 6.5 Grendel...It would be as simple as a barrel swap and blueprinting the action. :D

I think we may have talked about this before in another thread...But it would be a perfect candidate to build a heavy barreled 6.5 Grendel...It would be as simple as a barrel swap and blueprinting the action. :D

Yes we did. I bought this rifle with intentions of just that, but I'm easily distracted by something shiny. I have a 2 or 3 projects in the pipeline, and I'm just learning what I can from this one before moving on.

I take a few friends kids hunting, and somebody is usually wanting to use one in the safe. This causes me to look at turn around time, and putting things off.

I got all set up to load this one, and got side tracked with a coffee can of 172 grain cast bullets that's been laying around a few years. I could keep the kids plinking in this caliber for awhile.

I'll get it into MPI for a stock change after this deer season. They have a thumbhole in a micro weight. Depending on how that effects overall weight, I'll look at barrel contours for the 6.5, maybe suppress it.

Looking at the loads for Grendel a lot more possibilities exist. Although in a comparable bolt gun the 7.62X39 should have room for improvement.

Reloading manuals are the place to look. Usually quoted are H335, AA1680, H4198, RL7.

While I have not yet loaded 7.62 x 39 from scratch, I have been doing a "Mexican Match" by pulling bullets on Golden Bear, dumping the powder then recharging it for a more consistent load, then seating a 123 gr TSX bullet. I am getting 1/2 moa with my Ruger 77 Compact and this combo is absolutely devastating on deer and pigs.
Awesome. I have been asking about this the last couple of weeks on MeWe and other forums and I was getting crickets. Now I definitely have to give it a try what load did you start with and finish with or did you just put the same amount in that was originally in the bullet? Did you seat them at the same height? Also did you have to crimp them after you pulled the bullet? What kind of bullet puller did you use?