6x47 Lapua ~Turkish Challenge~

Joel Russo

So... a good customer of mine, turned good friend, always seems to want to throw challenges my way.. At first I think no way, then after constant badgering, I accept his challenge to prove to me and him that it can be done..

He wanted me to build him a 6x47 Lapua on his BAT action, and stock it with a shotgun blank that he acquired from Turkey... Yep, a two piece blank...

After looking at the two piece blank for about 6 months, I decided to square them up and butt joint them together. Then I cut the blank apart with the band saw, and planed both inside surfaces.
He was easily talked into using a piece of jet black Gabon Ebony, $$$, as a spine board to offer structural integrity. I glued it all back together and ended up with a very serviceable blank.

Barreled action finished complete with custom mini brake, and Melonite treatment.

I used our, Curtis Custom, DBM bottom metal and 3 round billet mag for the build.

I made him a pattern stock, and sent it out for him to do a little sanding in the grip area. He wanted to make sure it fit his hand. After I got it back, I turned the Turkish blank into a stock. We decided not to put an Ebony forend tip of grip cap on it as it may have crossed the line with too much Ebony.

I applied a hand rubbed, satin tung oil finish to it, which brought out the figure nicely.

Mission completed, happy customer..

Attachments

• serfblank.jpg
    serfblank.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 143
  • gs7.jpg
    gs7.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 144
  • ser2.jpg
    ser2.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 156
  • gs0.jpg
    gs0.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 168
  • sers.jpg
    sers.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 168
  • gs4.jpg
    gs4.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 156
More pictures...

Attachments

• gs1.jpg
    gs1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 138
  • serd.jpg
    serd.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 152
  • gs9.jpg
    gs9.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 140
  • gs3.jpg
    gs3.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 126
  • ser4.jpg
    ser4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 151
  • sergv.jpg
    sergv.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 152
You sent me a picture of this but I never saw the full build.... now I'm just ****ed off cause now I've got to build another one after seeing this. Not only does the ebony spacing accent it perfectly... it's one of my favorite calibers...Thanks bro! Always costing me $$....gun):rolleyes:

As always, it's incredible!

Update....

Rifle arrived to customer in hard case after a two day air shipment to him under the care of UPS...

Somehow, they managed to break this stock.. The claim circus has started.

That's the second broken stock I've had in the past two months by UPS. Both were shipped in a hard case...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.