6x284 and 115 DTAC

buffalorancher

Finally got around to trying some of these today. It was 67 deg. and cloudy after a significant amount of much needed rain fall. I had shot some through the chronograph to see pressure wise what was safe and made it to 47 gr. of RL 22. I started to get a shiny ejector mark on every other round and velocity was between 3072 to 3094 fps. This round shot great and the primers were still snug but with the 46 gr. the primer was factory new tight. My rifle is a M-70 CRF with an ABS/Rock 1-8.2 5r and my load is Lapua brass, Fed 210M with 47 gr. RL 22. Is this the best I can expect? The 46 gr. load had velocities with quite an ES, I don't have my notes, and wouldn't do beter than 3/4 inch with 46.5 slightly better. With the 47 gr load I shot two 5 shot groups with one below .3 and the other close to that except for the one I pulled. Once groups get like this I don't worry about measuring because this is as good as I can shoot. If anyone has any advice on a better route great, otherwise I'm going to get some drops and see about the neighbors prarie dogs.
Thanks
Lance

with the barrel , powder and primer combo you are using, you should try the Berger 105VLD. very good B.C. and better performance on small game.
UB

Ernie,
I think I might try 4831 as it seems to be a good powder for this cartridge. Sooner or later though it's time to shoot and not develope loads.
Lance

I have a 6-284 shooting the 115 coated dtacs. I didnt have any luck with 4831 or RL22 or retumbo. In fact I have not have much luck at all except with Ramshot Magnum and the 115 dtacs. The 115 bergers went poof, the 105s shoot bugholes out of my 6x47, but I cant get them to shoot in my 6-284 w/o wrecking my cases. I am pretty discouraged with mine.
It is not a neck tension problem, which I first suspected. It is a not problem with the bullet going to sleep as has been suggested by a friend. If it hasnt gone to sleep by 300 yards it isnt going to.
I am not even going to say how fast I have to run the dtacs to get the groups down to 1/2 MOA. If I posted how fast I ran the 115s to shoot the only .2 group this gun has shot the pressure police would lead me away in a straight jacket. I just cant get this gun to shoot with any accuracy unless I push it too hard. I have decided to shoot the barrel out and rechamber it to 6.5x47.

What is the desired twist for the 115 DTAC bullets?

Thanks!

Mine is a 1-8 Broughton 5C.
With using the 115's you need a true 1-8, and with the new 117 DTAC's maybe a 7.5 twist.
The 117's are a poly-tipped bullet. Once I can get some I want to see if they will stabilize in my XP-100 handgun.
My MV is just a tad over 2700 fps but mine has a much shorter barrel than yours will.

Has anyony tried RL-25 in their 6x284? The logic I used was that slower may be better and I still had unused case capacity. While I am only shooting the 105 Bergers, 54.0 of RL-25 will drive them at 3275 out of my Cooper (1:9 twist). As with any load data, your mileage may vary - I worked up to this load from about 2.5 grains below the listed load and it is OK in my Cooper. Would the 115 DTAC benefit from a slower powder as well?

Last edited:
I've came to the conclusion, after being told this by several people, that the 6x284 is not a big bullet set up. The 6mm's are great but the 6x284 is better with the lighter bullets/slower twists going fast. I'm going to build another 6mm but I think it will be a lighter weight 6x284 with a 10 twist or go with one of the slower ones and shoot with no headaches.
Lance

I've came to the conclusion, after being told this by several people, that the 6x284 is not a big bullet set up. The 6mm's are great but the 6x284 is better with the lighter bullets/slower twists going fast. I'm going to build another 6mm but I think it will be a lighter weight 6x284 with a 10 twist or go with one of the slower ones and shoot with no headaches.
Lance

Well mine shoots great with the new 117's havent tried the 115. I am using a case full of really slow powder as well. I can drive them to 3300 but case life is short. At 3250 i am getting 5 firings before i have PP's too loose. Tomorrow I am going to stretch there legs out to atleast 1300 maybe a mile if all works well.

27 inch Kreiger 1-8 twist

doug

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.