6mm x 6.5 remington mag data?

309coug

I am looking for load data for this cartridge. I have not been able to find any. If you have any or know where I can find some I would appreciate it.

Wish I could help you, that should be a humdinger of a cartridge.

I have a 6.5 rem mag with a 24" Douglas barrel and get 3100 fps out of a 130 gr and 3000 fps with a 140 gr without even pushing the limits. I am using 57 gr RL22 with the 130 and 60 gr RL25 with the 140.

Since I have lots of 6.5 rem mag brass and might consider the 6x6.5 rem mag, what dies and process are you using for sizing?

60 grains of IMR 4831 under a 100 grain bullet. The cases used were .350 mag instead of 6.5 mag, but are virtually the samething. The powder lot used was an older lot of powder, so it may not exactly interchange with a modern can of IMR 4831. Barrel life is not all that good with this round
gary

Woods, the die is stamped 6.5 x 350 rem mag. from RCBS, with 350 being the parent cartridge. I bought this gun on impulse and didn't realize the limited selection of bullet weights. But i shot it this weekend and it shoots moa.

Thanks Tricky, I have searched high and low for any kind of info, but have come up empty handed. Thanks for the starting point.

I would give Hogdon a call to see what they think about the burn rates of older powder lots verses the new lots. They also own all the Dupont IMR copyrights now. If it were me I think I'd try to find a load using the 4831sc for a starter load, and work from there. If you need cases, then try Blue Star in Arkansas. Of course you could also build them out of 7mm mag cases
gary

the 6mm-6.5 rem mag has 71.6 grs. h2o capicity
the ackley version is 75.3 grs
240 wby is 62.0
6-06 is 69.3 grs
6-284 is 65.3 grs
6x62 mm is 66.9 grs.
So I would say you can load any of the 6-284 and work up to the max load.
I just bought a chamber reamer and die for the 6mm-6.5 rem mag
to ream one of my 243 barrels.
here is one of my targets for my 6.5 rem mag

65mag95vmax.jpg

this was a 300 wsm but now is my 6.5 rem mag E R Shaw 26" varmit barrel
300wsm.jpg

Here's what I remember ..... and my memory ain't so good anymore . That Cartridge was called the 6 PBM , and it was written up in an old Issue of Precision Shooting . I remember giving Data on it ( many years ago ) to someone who had one of the early Ballistics Programs . I asked him to use Figures for a 6 mm VLD , and assuming the high Velocities cited in the Article could be safely achieved ..... it was one of the flattest shooting Cartridges out to 1000 Yards that I was able to find . I think it was in the top 3 ....as I recall .... along with a 22-284 using a heavy JLK VLD . You might try searching the Internet or maybe call Precision Shooting : 860-645-8776 . I'm guessing it might have been written up maybe 10 years ago . Can't remember the Author , but it might be the Fellow who wrote about the 243 Catbird , and also the 257 Banshee . If I ever run across that old Issue or find those Ballistics figures , I will report back . I would also be interested in any " new " developments on these or any other super-flat Varmint Cartridges .

I built a 6-06 Ackley that is 69.0 h20 cap.
and the 25-06 Ackley is the same so I just use the 25-06 Ackley
load data for the 6-6.5 mag (71.3 h2o cap) it is working out ok.
the 6-06 Ackley is really a fun caliber to shoot too.
It will get the 40 grainers over 4200 fps.

I built a 6-06 Ackley that is 69.0 h20 cap.
and the 25-06 Ackley is the same so I just use the 25-06 Ackley
load data for the 6-6.5 mag (71.3 h2o cap) it is working out ok.
the 6-06 Ackley is really a fun caliber to shoot too.
It will get the 40 grainers over 4200 fps.

you need a 6Vias. It'll push a 70 grain bullet at 4100 fps using less powder and a 26" barrel
gary

what case is built on?

6.5x55 Sweed. The shoulder is setback about .04, but the over all lengh is similar. The shoulder angle is 30 degrees and the taper in the body is similar to Ackley's .01" per foot. You can also build it off of 6mm remington or just about anything bigger than the 6.5x55 case length.
gary

I would give Hogdon a call to see what they think about the burn rates of older powder lots verses the new lots. They also own all the Dupont IMR copyrights now. If it were me I think I'd try to find a load using the 4831sc for a starter load, and work from there. If you need cases, then try Blue Star in Arkansas. Of course you could also build them out of 7mm mag cases
gary

Gary
The last time I tried to order from Blue Star he told me he had lost his contract with Remington This was back in november 2010

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.