6mm rifle twist

screech

what kind of twist do I need for a 55-70gr. bt out of a 243 or 243AI. what king of twist would I need for a 87gr. vmax? thanks

I opted for 1-12" for an upcoming 6mmAI,primarily for 75 gr bullets.87 might be approaching border line with this twist,but Im sure going to find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10 twist is ideal for the bullet you've mentioned. I have a Shilen 6 grove 10 twist on my 6MM Remington and shoot the 87 grain V-Max really well. This is the only bullet I use on this rifle.

thanks. anyone kill anything with the 87gr. vmax? I have killed a few white tails. The one coyote a friend shot with it took it fell over jumped up and scattled away before we could get another shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have killed all kinds of critters with a 87 Vmax. From prarie dogs to coyotes. They are the cats meow, IMO. Never had a song doggie move after being hammered with an 87.
Again, IMO, the 87grn VMAX has no peer in the 6mm class as a pure varmint bullet.

screech- I'm sure you already know, but yotes have got to be one of the toughest critters pound for pound, they just have a will to live. A bad hit coyote (which isn't hard to do) can run a ways. I've seen them take 200g+ bullets from my 300 RUM and keep on running. Never did find them because I obviously didn't hit them good enough. There tough little buggers to say the least.

[ QUOTE ]
I have killed all kinds of critters with a 87 Vmax. From prarie dogs to coyotes. They are the cats meow, IMO. Never had a song doggie move after being hammered with an 87.
Again, IMO, the 87grn VMAX has no peer in the 6mm class as a pure varmint bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!... Preach on Brother 7mm. That 87 V-Max is bad-to-the-bone. The high BC (for a true varmint bullet) and semi-explosive terminal effects make it the planet's best Coyote Bullet. I've shot tons of vermin with the 87 too, and it has never once let me down. Last year I shot a coyote at about 465yds with the 6mm Rem. and it left blood spatter and coyote clockwork for 30' in the snow behind the dog. Every single dog I've seen hit with that bullet has gone down...post-haste!
Also, I had a 6/284 with a 24" 10 Twist bbl. and it wasn't any faster than the 6mm Rem with the same bbl... with any bullet. I like the 10" Twist for any of the standard 6mm rounds, even with the 55s. I can still shoot the 55 B-Tips at upwards of 4100 in a 24" pipe with the 6mm Rem... that equals bye-bye Mr. Rockchuck. My current 6mm will also shoot both the 105 Berger and the 107 SMK at around 3000fps with RE-22 and stabalize them well enough to shoot 1"-1.5" 200 yard groups.
If I were to build anything from a .243AI to a 6-06 I'd do it with a 10" Twist... if it were a big boomer like a SAUM or 6-06AI I might go 12". That's just me though, I like the 87s and the 55s with an occasional 107 thrown in, so the 10" Twist has served me well over the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.